New BP breeder would like to ask Experienced BP breeder some questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
sbender99
Talking New BP breeder would like to ask Experienced BP breeder some questions

I wonder if an experienced breeder would let me talk to them and pick their brain every now and again for tips. I'm just getting started and, of course, very excited to get going. I have approx twenty something BP of various morphs. I have 13 eggs in the incubator and another about to pop soon. Like I said just getting started.
If you are an experienced, quality, reputable breeder and willing to share some of your hard-earned knowledge, I would very much appreciate a PM. I'll call or text (whatever you prefer) you on your schedule, not mine. I'll not be a pest but hopefully a future ally to you in the future. I just realize that there is a cycle to things like buying and selling, etc. and these kinds of tips I'd really rather not find out the hard way.

Thx for your help in advance!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
B&C Ball Pythons
If you have any questions or need advice, this is a great place to post it. There's a lot of very knowledgeable people in this community who are more than happy to help out. I know we've gotten a lot of answers to questions not answered by doing our own research.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
sbender99
Talking

Well, for example, it seems like now-or short while ago, is the time to sell males as their purpose has been done. Breeders are now selling them to, I'm guessing, keep from having to feed those big mouths for another year waiting. This all seems cyclical - the buying and selling of males and females. I was wondering if you could let me in on the cycle of when to buy and when to sell. There is a method to this madness I'm sure and although someone might be friendly enough to let me in on it personally, they may not want to broadcast it. Anyway, any help you can provide would be great. TY!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
Iloverhacs
Breeders sell males this time of the year because they all ready did their purpose, or one of their hold backs made it this year and replaced the male they are selling. There is no season of when and what to sell. Breeding size females are always wanted late fall to early spring, but most breeders aren't going to raise a female to breeding size just to let someone else buy her and breed her. And then there's tax time, and christmas, and birthday money, work bonus. Every buyer is different, depending on their situation. As long as you have quality animals they will sell for you, just no guarantee how fast. You might hold onto something for a few years before it sells, just prepare your self as a breeder that not every baby is guaranteed to sell. And make sure you have the room and resources to care for the unsold.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
B&C Ball Pythons
I'm pretty new to all of this, but that seems to be how it works. Breeders will replace their males with upgraded males mostly. Replacing a pastel male w/a super pastel for example. Same goes for females, but females take much longer to mature, so it's a lot more rare to see breeder females for sale. Hatchlings of both sexes that don't fit into any breeding plans are usually sold. That's just my observation, but I'm sure there's a lot of different variables that come into play. Everyone has their own reasons for selling

Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
sbender99
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloverhacs View Post
Breeders sell males this time of the year because they all ready did their purpose, or one of their hold backs made it this year and replaced the male they are selling. There is no season of when and what to sell. Breeding size females are always wanted late fall to early spring, but most breeders aren't going to raise a female to breeding size just to let someone else buy her and breed her. And then there's tax time, and christmas, and birthday money, work bonus. Every buyer is different, depending on their situation. As long as you have quality animals they will sell for you, just no guarantee how fast. You might hold onto something for a few years before it sells, just prepare your self as a breeder that not every baby is guaranteed to sell. And make sure you have the room and resources to care for the unsold.
Thanks for responding!

As a new breeder, what percentage of babies should I expect wont sell? or should I go a different path as a new breeder and sell them to a big breeder at wholesale until I get more experience? Like I said this is my first year and I felt I would be lucky to have anything to incubate so I'm ecstatic to have 13 good eggs (nice spider x normal) right now. All the rest of my morph BPs are still growing for this year coming. I know if the male spider is het, I'll have some normals.

Is there anytime during the year where females would likely be at their cheapest?

Why would someone sell their females at this time of year that are gravid?

If you have time I would love to go through my inventory with you and get your thoughts on a good direction to go with them that will yield the best financial results.

Thx again both of you for responding!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
B&C Ball Pythons
I don't think there's any way to pre-determine how many won't sell. It's simply supply & demand. Females are more than likely the cheapest during the spring/summer when alot of breeders are hatching out gobs of clutches. The winter seems to slow down and you see alot less available (again, supply & demand.) As far as selling gravid females, it could be a handful of reasons: no incubator and/or room in incubator, no room for the hatchlings, etc.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Iloverhacs
its all supply and demand, trusted breeders vs. new names, prices, marketing. There's never a guarantee what you will sell and what you can't. Just don't market crash, you'll ruin everyone and your self. You can wholesale to someone else if you like. It saves you the time and resources of caring for them. But everyone has different opinions. Just have fun with what your doing.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Matt2979
I'll give one suggestion that seems to hold true, no matter how many seasons you have (or have not) done this...breed to produce what YOU like. That way if you don't sell any, you won't be stuck with something you don't like!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #10
B&C Ball Pythons
And that's where the experience comes in on this topic. GREAT tip Matt Keep in mind all of my input is strictly based on my studying and observations.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!