genetics question(s) that might be over my head... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
RedTailedDexter
genetics question(s) that might be over my head...

I am going to keep this question's as "easy" as possible but keep in mind I am still learning the ropes of all this...

Ok so I know that a snow = albino X anery my question is can I do ANY albino? for example would Coral albino X Anery still get me a snow? and would it have a differen't name i.e. Coral snow?

My second question might be silly because I haven't looked into ghosts as much but if I were to pair up an albino Anrey X hypo would I get albino ghosts?

I did my best to poke around and answer these questions myself but did not have much luck... I got close at one point as far as making sharp snows but that wasn't really the question =P thank you for taking the time to read and answer.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
zn394
Any albino, yes - sort of. Anery x albino = 100% het snow litter. To get snows you would need an albino het anery (het snow) x anery het [i]compatible[i] albino (het snow).

An albino anery is a snow, a ghost is a hypo anery, and an albino ghost is a moonglow. So snow x hypo would produce half normals/half hypos all 50% het snow (albino, anery).

Old 11-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
hhmoore
To get snows you need both parents to be carrying both traits. It doesn't matter how they are/are not expressed. DH albino anery x DH albino anery will do the job; as will albino het anery x albino het anery, snow x DH albino anery, anery het albino x anery het albino, etc.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
AbsoluteApril
tossing this out there as well, don't forget there are two strains of albino - kahl and sharp and they are not compatible.

edit to add - 'Coral' is from the kahl line and is, as best as I have ever understood it, a line bred trait. A coral albino is still a regular albino. I have not seen the coral trait in snows as the anery removes the red anyways.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by zn394 View Post
So snow x hypo would produce half normals/half hypos all 50% het snow (albino, anery).
Just to offer a correction to the above. If one of the parents is a visual Snow, then all offspring get both an Albino and an Anery gene. So all Normals in that pairing would be 100% DH Snow, and all Hypo offspring would be 100% TH Moonglow. Since the parent is homozygous for 2 recessive traits, all offspring get a gene from each mutated pair of genes.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
zn394
Good catch Rich, thanks.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
RedTailedDexter
Thank you for the replies everyone. I think I kept up with everything... I read on http://www.classreptilia.com/boa_morphs.htm that snows were the anry X albino. Does this mean the site it a little out of date?? I'm not trying to say anything it wrong I am just trying to make sure I fully understand...

Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
laterob
You are looking at 3 traits: hypo, anery, and albino.

Hypo and albino = sunglow.
Anery and albino = snow.
Anery and hypo = ghost.

All 3 = Moonglow.

Thanks for the kind words, btw . It was our pleasure to meet you two.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
smilts
No what it is saying is that, to be a snow the snake must have both the anery and the albino genes.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Stryker414
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilts View Post
No what it is saying is that, to be a snow the snake must have both the anery and the albino genes.
A snow is a visual albino and visual anery. Add in visual hypo and you have a moonglow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!