flexible heat rope? anyone tried it? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 01-16-2004, 10:55 AM   #1
Pennebaker
flexible heat rope? anyone tried it?

I was just looking into some of the flexible heat rope (waterproof) and thinking about trying it. Just wondering if anyone here has used it and what they think.
(vs heat tape?)
Big Apple sells it.

Thanks
Dana

Old 07-02-2004, 12:29 AM   #2
MGReptiles
I have it on all my racks(animal Plastics) works really well and holds a constant temp with no hot spots. Be careful and use a thermo though cause this stuff can get HOT...

Old 07-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
HouseOfSerpents
Matt, are you referring to the stuff found at the hardware store? If so, what wattage do you use in your racks?

Old 07-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #4
MGReptiles
Im not sure it would be the same.. The stuff I have came with the rack. You could contact AP and Im sure they would tell ya...

Old 11-19-2004, 02:57 AM   #5
okpik
I've been using the BAH cable and proportional thermostat for about a month now under the plastic containers that hold my hatchling kings. I'm really happy with the way they work--the enclosures maintain at the proper temperatures, the cable never gets hot enough to cause problems like melting the boxes or burning the snakes. By looping it back and forth under the boxes, I could create a temperature gradient. I read somewhere not to let the cable touch itself, so I secured the loops a set distance apart.

So far so good! After the posts I'd read about FlexWatt overheating or starting fires, and seeing how hot the ZooMed heat pad under my corn snake was getting, I decided that I'd give the cable a try and I'm glad I did.

Annie Hemstock

Old 11-19-2004, 03:47 AM   #6
MGReptiles
Any heating element can cause a fire if used incorrectly. The flexwat stories are scary but noone really knows how they aere used...

Old 11-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
liquidleaf
I use the Zoomed heat cable in my husband's GTP cage (it's a BARR's and using external heat pads doesn't work well with the plastic walls of those), strung all along the ceiling of the cage. It works very well. But DO use a thermostat, it does get very warm.

Before I bought the ZooMed stuff, I went to the hardware store and tried to get "pipe heating" cable. However, this seems to be available only with a built in thermostat that is taped against a pipe, and it turns on the heat ONLY if the temperature is getting near freezing. The thermostat is molded right into the tape, no way to remove it without destroying the cable (which I did while I was playing around with it, oh well, live and learn). Hopefully that little tidbit will help someone else save the $15 I spent figuring that out.

I'm very happy with the ZooMed cable.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Tim Cole
Thumbs up Flexwatt...

I have been using flexwatt since 1982 and have had no problems. I do use it with thermostats or reostats though. I have 4 large racks systems using it and i am very pleased with it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!