Green Tree Frog Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
MiIguanaLvr
Green Tree Frog Questions

Hi all,

ok so yesterday I made my first impulse buy of an animal and I got a green tree frog. Usually I research whatever it is I am interested in and have an enclosure all set up and ready before I get the animal but this guy was unplanned and I just want to make sure I do right by him

I went in to get dog food and came out with a tree frog. Of course the store had no care sheets for them so I was wondering if anyone here has one they could send me or direct me to.

The only frog I have experience with is a whites tree frog so I just want to make sure I know what I am doing with this little guy.

Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Ed Clark
Beth, heres a start.

http://www.pollywog.co.uk/americangreencaresheet.html

Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
Ed Clark
Moist coco fiber works well with these frogs along with live plants, it also helps with hunidity. these are super hardy little frogs that will eat 1/2 inch crickets meal, wax and butter worms along with red wigglers.

Humidity around 60% give or take a little. dont cover the screen top to raise humidity, just mist now and then. frogs need a good air flow to stay healthy and happy.

It would be a good idea to treat that frog for chytrid fungus.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
MiIguanaLvr
Thank you Ed. I do want to ask, are these nocturnal frogs? He does not behave like he is but I just want to be sure.

I printed the care sheet you sent and have a few alterations to make to his set up but I had done pretty well by him and even had the right substrait for him.

Thanks again

Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #5
Ed Clark
Mostly nocturnal, they can be active during the day especially on rainy or overcast days.

A good temp to maintain these is 70-76* F

Males can be very vocal, so if the frog starts singing you know its a he!

Best of luck.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
MiIguanaLvr
Thank you
I LOVE frogs but this is the first I have kept for myself.
I did purchase a whites from Craigslist for my nephew a few months back and he just loves it though.

I have a feeling I am about to become hooked on frogs

Old 10-08-2008, 12:53 AM   #7
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiIguanaLvr View Post

I have a feeling I am about to become hooked on frogs
Certainly not a bad thing to get hooked on!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
MiIguanaLvr
My new frog calls. Its the prettiest sound. Usually late afternoon, early evening. Very relaxing sound.

Does this mean its a male? I am assuming his set up must be satisfactory to him as well???

Old 10-14-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiIguanaLvr View Post
My new frog calls. Its the prettiest sound. Usually late afternoon, early evening. Very relaxing sound.

Does this mean its a male? I am assuming his set up must be satisfactory to him as well???
Yes, the males will call. don't be surprised to hear him 2:00 am in the morning aswell.

I keep a large number of Whites tree frogs, when 1 starts late at night they all join in. 8 large adult males calling all at once in the middle of the night is a sound you will never forget!

Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
MiIguanaLvr
Thanks!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!