Sugar Gliders - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #21
Lucille
I've been looking through the various diets and I find it notable that so many are complicated and difficult and others require special ingredients like 'wombaroo powder' and bee pollen.

Still others bemoan the complicatedness of it all and try to sell you their brand of dry glider kibble as an alternative.

I find the whole subject smacks of elitism and commerce that sometimes does not seem to have the best interests of the gliders in mind.

Nutrition is not the rocket science that some with gliders make it out to be.
And I find it distasteful that some of these glider boards expect newbies to arrive, make a ritual bow of obeisance, kiss the ring of the current nutrition queen, and empty their wallets for the benefit of vendors preying on the natural inclination of pet owners to want the best for their pets.

I think that a good working knowledge of nutrition is all it takes, and I'm hoping that some will start threads here to provide ideas for diets that are simple, and healthy.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #22
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
I've been looking through the various diets and I find it notable that so many are complicated and difficult and others require special ingredients like 'wombaroo powder' and bee pollen.

Still others bemoan the complicatedness of it all and try to sell you their brand of dry glider kibble as an alternative.

I find the whole subject smacks of elitism and commerce that sometimes does not seem to have the best interests of the gliders in mind.

And I find it distasteful that some of these glider boards expect newbies to arrive, make a ritual bow of obeisance, kiss the ring of the current nutrition queen, and empty their wallets for the benefit of vendors preying on the natural inclination of pet owners to want the best for their pets.

I think that a good working knowledge of nutrition is all it takes, and I'm hoping that some will start threads here to provide ideas for diets that are simple, and healthy.
Exactly! My Gliders thrived and I never had any issues with joeys being killed or anything else, and I fed what I stated above. I also added a vitamin/calcium supplement to the food a few times monthly.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #23
StrictlyExotics
Quote:

Some of what is included in their so-called diets, ie.. wombaroo powder, bee pollen, etc... are somewhat over the top IMHO. Sure, its great to give them EXACTLY what they have in the wild but is it feasible and necessary in captive life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
Exactly! My Gliders thrived and I never had any issues with joeys being killed or anything else, and I fed what I stated above. I also added a vitamin/calcium supplement to the food a few times monthly.
Kelli, are you talking about the typical reptile supplements that we know and love? If so, those are what I use everyone once in awhile. My gliders seem to thrive in the enviroment that I have them in as well.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #24
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyExotics View Post
Some of what is included in their so-called diets, ie.. wombaroo powder, bee pollen, etc... are somewhat over the top IMHO. Sure, its great to give them EXACTLY what they have in the wild but is it feasible and necessary in captive life?
I agree. At the cellular level, it does not matter where the nutrition comes from. Expensive supplements such a bee pollen should not be neccesay if the nutritional requirements are met in other ways.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #25
Lucille
Quote:

They are such cute critters!!!
The only thing cuter than sugar gliders are little baby sugar glider joeys, of which I now have 2 from my whiteface/white tail pair Will try to post pictures soon.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #26
deborahbroadus
Quote:
I thank you for the link, went over there, it's a big glider site. They have some folks who really know their stuff and are extremely helpful. It's been my pleasure to talk to a few of them.
But the site also has TB- Toxic Biddies, you know, those women who breathlessly toddle into a conversation just to show off, or be the center of attention. I ran into a doozie while throwing out a few ideas in the nutrition forum a few days ago.
There are one or two glider recipes which call for those tiny jars of baby food chicken, and when you have a bunch of gliders that stuff can really add up (not to mention that fresh food might be better) I suggested that perhaps a recipe could be devised using fresh chicken.
So one of the TB crew toddles over and announces that if I'm worried about saving money on a few jars of baby food, maybe I have the wrong pet.

We ought to get a little glider forum going over here. TBs that toddle over to this site usually toddle out pretty fast

I love my gliders, they are so cute!!!!
It's the same on the parrot forums..and boy do I have FUN! I have birds that aren't biting me..(but one got out alas), eat fresh foods, drink from bottles and live in peace..they don't like me much on those forums.

I had been looking at Sugars some time ago, made a few inquiries, but lost interest when a breeder tried to force me to buy TWO (saying that they can't be sold singly) when I only wanted one.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #27
shlages
Quote:
The only thing cuter than sugar gliders are little baby sugar glider joeys, of which I now have 2 from my whiteface/white tail pair Will try to post pictures soon.

Congrats on the babies!!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #28
AbsoluteApril
Quote:

Congratulations!
Pics Please!

Old 09-15-2010, 03:44 AM   #29
StrictlyExotics
Well, I thought I would update this thread as I am going to hopefully go to Houston to pick up 1.1 White-Faced sugar gliders this Friday if all goes well. Very cute and will add to my menagerie quite nicely.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #30
AbsoluteApril
very cool Dean!! Pics please!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!