Wild Caught Desert Iguana HELP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
a100roper
Lightbulb Wild Caught Desert Iguana HELP

I recently caught a wild Desert Iguana who seems sick. He let me walk right up to him and pick him up without a struggle. It was a warm, sunny day in mid-afternoon and he was warm to the touch, so not cold. He is very thin. He does seem to move well, when he moves. His eyes are bright, nose is clear, no audible breathing. No obvious load of mites. Has not had a bowel movement yet, but I do intend to deworm him.
So, I keep a pair of uromastyx, and live and grew up in Desert Iguana territory, so I'm not too concerned about tank set up and care. What I'm really concerned on is diet and getting him to transition from his wild, native foods to leafy greens, vegetables and seeds that I provide my uros. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions? I can provide him with native collected leaves and flowers, but I would prefer to get him to switch over (at least partly) as soon as possible. Obviously, because he is so thin, I also don't want him to miss too many meals. Open to any and all suggestions.
Thanks!
Also: He was legally collected

Old 04-01-2020, 05:17 AM   #2
alibaba62398
Take him to an exotic vet immediately. They potentially would tube feed to immediately administer electrolytes and fluids, as well as perform a general wellness exam to determine any health problems. Beyond that, anyone there especially well versed in reptiles could guide you specifically on how to transition your iguana diet wise, as desert iguanas aren't too common in the hobby. Not rare as you may know, but a lesser known and kept species. Good luck on treating your little friend!

Old 04-18-2020, 11:24 PM   #3
comey
I caught one and kept him for 2 weeks he was eating lettuce just fine

Old 04-18-2020, 11:25 PM   #4
comey
he could also just be really old

Old 05-09-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
a100roper
Update:

Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions. I gave him a mix of native greens (luckily spring flowers had just began blooming so I had some choices) and store-bought greens I use for my Uromastyx. I also gave him small juvenile pellets and scattered a seed mix for him. In addition, I gave him nightly soaks in water (since I think dehydration was part of it).
I'm very pleased to say he's doing great! He started eating in about a week, and now is eating pretty much anything I offer. He's put on tons of weight, going from literal skin and bones to a giant belly and plump fat deposits over hips and tail.
I think he's a younger male. I suspect he just didn't go into his first winter well prepared and would have been unable to recover. Either way, I'm pleased I stumbled across him. I love Desert Iguanas!
Thanks again for all suggestions!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
desert, desert iguana, diet, native plants, wild caught