Best way to weigh a small skittish snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
C0rocad
Best way to weigh a small skittish snake?

Long and short of it my girlfriend found a Young Eastern Garter Snake swimming for his life at the end September in a flooded section of an abandoned property she was working on.

She brought him home of course and since I had a glut of extra equipment I set him up with a nice live plant terrarium, not expecting him to last long as he was very young and in poor condition when I got him.

Never really been a snake owner (I'm a Chameleon/Salamander/Skink type of guy) I figured it would be a good chance to educate myself and care for this guy until the next spring where I would release him.

Two sheds later this guy has fattened up considerably and I'm looking to weigh him so I can keep track of his progress.

Problem is he FREAKS OUT when you go into his cage and I have to chase him around to get him. Once I get him he will musk and defecate on me (all normal for garters) but he will never bite. There is no way I can have him sit on a scale to weigh him. I'm thinking of putting him in a cup and weighing him in that and deducting the cup weight later but he thrashes around inside that throwing off my little scale.

Anyone have any suggestions for ornery snakes? I really don't want to handle him too much as I'm planning on releasing him.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Robert Walker
Dominic - I think you are on the right path. I would figure out the weight of the cup with a lid, maybe like a cool whip container with lid holes. I would then put the garter in the cool whip container until it finally decided to chill, an hour or so and then weigh them both. Minus out the container and presto.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
C0rocad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Dominic - I think you are on the right path. I would figure out the weight of the cup with a lid, maybe like a cool whip container with lid holes. I would then put the garter in the cool whip container until it finally decided to chill, an hour or so and then weigh them both. Minus out the container and presto.
Thanks for the quick response, I was worried about the stress of leaving him in a contain. I know in certain animals it can be deadly. I'll try it tonight!

Old 01-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
Robert Walker
No problem! Even though the garter won't say thanks for taking care of him, I'll say = good job to you!

Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
eminart
I agree with Robert. But, most digital scales have a "tare" function where you put the container on, zero out the weight, then stick the snake in it. Voila! No Math!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0rocad View Post
cup and weighing him in that and deducting the cup weight later but he thrashes around inside that throwing off my little scale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
most digital scales have a "tare" function where you put the container on, zero out the weight, then stick the snake in it. Voila! No Math!
Sure, tare is a wonderful function!

I'm not sure how all scales work, but mine shuts off after about 5 minutes of inactivity. If I used the tare function for the container, but then had to wait 30-60 minutes for the garter to calm down, then once I turned it back on, it would tare (if that is actually a verb) for both the container and snake giving me zero, thus having to math again.

My scale really doesn't care if the animal moves about, but it sounds like the OP's scale isn't working great with movement.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
bcr229
As the keeper of two evil little garters, I'd recommend putting yours into a snake bag instead of a cup where he may not feel as secure, and then just subtract the weight of the bag. Once my garters think they're hidden they settle right down; if they can see out of the container they may still thrash around and throw off the scale.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #8
C0rocad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
As the keeper of two evil little garters, I'd recommend putting yours into a snake bag instead of a cup where he may not feel as secure, and then just subtract the weight of the bag. Once my garters think they're hidden they settle right down; if they can see out of the container they may still thrash around and throw off the scale.
Hrm.. a snake bag huh? What can I use for that? Keep in mind he's tiny.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
Robert Walker
Quote:
into a snake bag instead of a cup
Good idea, better than a cool whip container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0rocad View Post
Hrm.. a snake bag huh? What can I use for that? Keep in mind he's tiny.
Plain Jane human tube sock with a zip tie to close it or tie the end in a knot. Be careful that you don't tie the snake up as it tries to thrash out of the bag.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
C0rocad
Quote:
Hey, since I got you here I have a question about these guys, I'm currently feeding him earthworms and it's a pain in the ass due to the top soil of his enclosure and him being skittish the worm just digs down before he can get to it. So I have to put him in a feeding container so he can find it then put him back into the terrarium. Lots of Internet sites say I should start feeding him mice and I would greatly prefer to but he's only 12 inches and very thin and even when I mixed mouse parts with worms he ignored them.

When should I attempt to feed him mice and what's the best scenario to do so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Plain Jane human tube sock with a zip tie to close it or tie the end in a knot. Be careful that you don't tie the snake up as it tries to thrash out of the bag.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!