"Like" button on the BOI. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:39 AM   #11
hhmoore
Why is it better, though? Because other people can see it?

What are you supposed to feel when you give karma? You haven't actually done anything, other than acknowledge a post. The same is true for liking it...except you show as part of a number. What if the like button didn't make your name visible/accessible? Would it still be better? If so, why?

Old 08-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #12
DLenaRuth999s
I don't want like or dislike buttons. It too often devolves into Romper Room behaviors. If I wanted all that drama I'd be on Facebook, which I'm not.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:03 AM   #13
LauraB
It ain't broke, so why "fix" it? This is not FB so if you want to give kudos to a post, leave karma or post a thumbs up, agreement, etc to a particular post in a thread you wish to acknowledge.

Personally, I see no reason to add a "like" button when there are already options in place to give credit if credit is due.

As Darlene has pointed out, a "like" and/or "dislike" button can only add to juvenile behavior and petty crap that is already displayed too often on Farcebook ... in MWO.

If Fauna is too old-school, oh well. So be it. It ain't broke. No need to "fix".

Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #14
DLenaRuth999s
How does a person give karma?

Old 08-15-2016, 12:08 AM   #15
lilgreenbee
I don't see how it would work very well in the BOI. IMHO I think it would reward good comebacks more than resolutions of conflict.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #16
bcr229
See attached.
Attached Images

Old 08-15-2016, 12:39 AM   #17
JButera
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
It ain't broke, so why "fix" it? This is not FB so if you want to give kudos to a post, leave karma or post a thumbs up, agreement, etc to a particular post in a thread you wish to acknowledge.

Personally, I see no reason to add a "like" button when there are already options in place to give credit if credit is due.

As Darlene has pointed out, a "like" and/or "dislike" button can only add to juvenile behavior and petty crap that is already displayed too often on Farcebook ... in MWO.

If Fauna is too old-school, oh well. So be it. It ain't broke. No need to "fix".
Unfortunately, old-school don't cut it on the web. Fb pretty much wiped out the discussion forums here and on Kingsnake, it'll be the buying and selling next. I never said this site was broken or needed fixing, just saying it could use some upgrading.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:05 AM   #18
Fangthane
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreenbee View Post
I think it would reward good comebacks more than resolutions of conflict.
That could also stand as a reasonably accurate description of how karma works on here. It's entirely subjective, why people choose to give/take karma for certain posts. Sometimes, what you say isn't even nearly as important as who you happen to say it to. Aside from having a different name and being publicly viewable, the proposed "like" system wouldn't really be appreciably different than the karma system that's already in place.

Posts made purely to acknowledge another post tend to irritate me. When I see people bump a thread to add little more than "," I generally just roll my eyes. While it may possibly feed into a certain kind of person's ideas that might somehow makes right - might being measured in amount of public thumbs-up received - I personally don't see any reason to do anything that would make this site any more like Fakebook than it already is - thankfully, very little.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:38 AM   #19
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by JButera View Post
Unfortunately, old-school don't cut it on the web. Fb pretty much wiped out the discussion forums here and on Kingsnake, it'll be the buying and selling next. I never said this site was broken or needed fixing, just saying it could use some upgrading.
You've been here for year...
The discussion forums were faltering badly 10 yrs ago. I recall some of the efforts to bolster them. Some people were using Facebook back then; but it wasn't the draw that it is now. There's no denying that Facebook and Instagram have taken a lot of traffic from forum based sites...but there's no easy solution to that problem. Maybe trying to be like Facebook would help pull in some people; but at what cost? While nobody can deny what social media has become; not everybody wants to immerse themselves in it.
Is the addition of a Like button going to drive people away? No. Is it going to be a draw? Probably not. Look at the social groups section - that never really took off, despite the drive that brought it here. Friends? Some people use that feature - I see that you have A friend - but many could care less. I've chosen not to utilize it. I'm okay with the site imposed statement that I don't have any friends. (Heck, I don't collect friends on Facebook - when I had a business page, I accepted every request....one pretty much has to...but when I deleted that page, I dumped the majority of the reptile people without regret.)

Realistically, if the Like system can be kept unobtrusive, there aren't many negatives....but, then, it would lose appeal.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:39 AM   #20
JButera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangthane View Post
That could also stand as a reasonably accurate description of how karma works on here. It's entirely subjective, why people choose to give/take karma for certain posts. Sometimes, what you say isn't even nearly as important as who you happen to say it to. Aside from having a different name and being publicly viewable, the proposed "like" system wouldn't really be appreciably different than the karma system that's already in place.

Posts made purely to acknowledge another post tend to irritate me. When I see people bump a thread to add little more than "," I generally just roll my eyes. While it may possibly feed into a certain kind of person's ideas that might somehow makes right - might being measured in amount of public thumbs-up received - I personally don't see any reason to do anything that would make this site any more like Fakebook than it already is - thankfully, very little.
The other day I wanted to say 'thanks' to two members on a BOI thread for answering a question I'd asked; however, at the time I had nothing worth saying but 'thanks'. I knew subscribers to that thread would be notified and scamper back to the conversation only to be annoyed by my post.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!