What cage is everyone using for the arboreals? - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-02-2005, 03:56 PM   #21
BoaMan Jon

I had to build one out of acrylic too. Those TNS cages were too awesome not to have, but I was too cheap to buy one.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #22
snunior
can anyone explain to me how to make an acrylic cage?

Old 11-09-2005, 12:26 AM   #23
BoaMan Jon
Building with acrylic isn't as difficult as it looks. I did some reading and found some really good/helpful sites related specifically to acrylic aquarium construction.

This thread here that CraigC of Gems of the Rainforest started was very helpful in directing me to good info sites.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/a.../acrylic1.html
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...c_aquarium.php

were also very helpful reads.

I built this one cage for a little over $150, but I bought about $60 or more in startup supplies, such as Weld-On #4 (solvent cement for acrylic), a couple framing clamps, etc. I simply score cut the 1/4" acrlyic and snapped it at the score lines and then cleaned up the joint edges with a router table. I wish I had the table saw and the right blade because it was not a quick process to score cut that many pieces. It took many hours to just simply get the pieces rough cut before they went to be routered. I believe that a table saw with the right blade may make good enough edges to skip the router step as well. After that, assembly is almost a breeze if you've got help. You set it up dry and syringe the cement into the gaps of the joint. The cement is water-thin so capillary action draws it into the joint and then it is clamped tight to dry. The cement sets in seconds and is very strong in under 5 minutes, so you'd better have it in the right place when the cement is applied.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #24
BoaMan Jon
Cheap cage

A very cheap build.

Old 07-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #25
Mooing Tricycle
thats a sweet setup! really impressive and its really nice looking to boot! Ever think of making them for others? hehe

Old 07-27-2006, 01:11 PM   #26
liquidleaf
I use a BARR's 20x20x20 for my husband's GTP - but BoaManJon - that is an awesomely simple cage idea! I love it!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!