Help!! Information on Red Iguana! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
OneStopShot
Help!! Information on Red Iguana!

Hello,

I'm about to adopt a Red Iguana. Now I know a lot about iguanas, but this guy throws me off. I can tell when a iguana is sick, by there skin color and by they way there skin is. Now this iguana hasn't been completely taken care of by last owner, the owner realised and put it up for adoption. Which I decided to adopt this little one.

The iguana is a fighter. It appearance is, Brownish-orange and a green belly. And seems skinny?

To me, I think this iguana going to be orange or greyish when she gets older.

My question for everyone. Is this a Red Iguana? Also, is it healthy by the looks? And what do you think it will look like when it gets older?

Here is some pictures.

Please help me.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
mialma09
Well its definitely a red iguana because of the red body and neon green belly thats how they all are when babies and juveniles. But I have owned 6 iguanas throughout my life from babies to adults and it really doesn't look bad at all as far as i can tell from those pics maybe a little skinny and dehydrated from how its skin folds are on its ribs but all in all looks like a nice iguana. Also looks like she could use a little help with the shed on her tail so some vitamin shed spray or just routine misting will help that. when u get her i would just recommend a smaller aquarium with some newspaper and a big water bowl and a log to climb on as a short quarantine period for 2 weeks to a month so you can watch it throughout the period and make sure its eating and pooping ok and just the general health.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
OneStopShot
Thank you for response.

I was just worried it was very unhealthy because of the color, but I never owned a red iguana before. Thank you for the advise about what to do when I get her, I will do that.

I'll post here or a new post on when I get her!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
mialma09
just make sure u get a good uvb bulb on her and as a younger iguana always use calcium powder with D3. Best I ever use is miner-all and ive heard repashy calcium plus is pretty good. good dark leafy greens diced carrots and peas too and she will grow fast

Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #5
OneStopShot
Is there some place where I can find all this information at?? I just realise there a whole other world of iguana that I don't know about. lol

Old 07-22-2012, 04:24 AM   #6
mialma09
yes there is a care sheet on the top of this thread and just ask around for any more questions and just surf the web. But u should be ok, iguanas are fairly easy reptiles to keep they just eventually require a large enclosure when they get older.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
OneStopShot
I got another question. I keep calling the iguana a she, the owneer calls it a she. To me it looks like a she due to the dewlap and spines.
Well, what am I correct about the sex?

Old 07-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
mialma09
I cant really tell how old it is by the pics but females do have shorter dwelps but that can def be misleading and the spines can just really start to grow and then look more like a male but either or still a nice iguana.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
OneStopShot
Its 10-12 inches long. Does that help with age?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #10
mialma09
ehhhh its probably a female but dont quote me. and id say 10-12 inches is prolly around the 6 month to a year wether or not it is male or female.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
iguana, iguana iguana