new to betta breeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 10-22-2005, 11:00 PM   #1
techgirl
Question new to betta breeding

hey there everyone. i've been getting into bettas lately and am interested at trying my hand at breeding them. i want to make sure i have my facts straight before i do it. i have a 10 gallon tank that i will fill half-way and set the temp to about 80 degrees with some plants for cover. i have selected my male and female that i want to breed and have been feeding them frozen food and some live. anything else i need to know before i do this? any info is greatly appreciated. i do have have homes available for the number of fry to expect. thank you so much.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Dennis1
Its been years since ive bred any myself
This is what i did;
I used a bare 2 1/2 gallon filled 3/4 high with seasoned water an underwater heater and a makeshift divider because they didnt have any that small
you could do with out the divider and use a different tank for the female if needed as long as the male can see her
Oh yeah a plastic lid like from a small can of coffee
When the male finishes his bubble nest under the plastic lid i introduce the female sometimes they breed right away sometimes the female wont be receptive and the male WILL stress her! In either case remove the female as soon as possible
I cant remember how long it takes the eggs to hatch but i think its around three weeks
Thats when it gets hard
You have to feed around a hundred fry without fouling the water
back then i made a fry food myself for them but now i think theres a few things on the market just for that purpose which i hear works well
But you will still need to do small water changes try to focus on just the uneaten food
Now you will see the male gobble the fry up when they fall dont be alarmed just yet most of the time he is just putting them back in the nest
But it is best that as soon as the fry are free swimming to remove the male or he WILL eat them after a few weeks of constant monitoring the water quality and feeding they will start to look like bettas and become more and more mean...lol
Thats the que to move them into their own tanks,With all males in seperate tanks and most of the time you can keep several females together with the 1 inch to 1 gallon of water ratio
That almost makes me want to try them out again,Almost....lol

Old 10-24-2005, 02:02 AM   #3
techgirl
kewl. ok so at least what i had researched you confirmed now with the lid, i float that right? to simulate the floating plants the bubble nest is done on? thank you so much. i can't wait to try this and see if i can do it. i have fallen for these fish like you wouldn't believe. if this works i want to get into doing the real beauties like the half moons or twin tails. i look forward to letting you know.
thanks for the info.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
Dennis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by techgirl
kewl. ok so at least what i had researched you confirmed now with the lid, i float that right? to simulate the floating plants the bubble nest is done on? thank you so much. i can't wait to try this and see if i can do it. i have fallen for these fish like you wouldn't believe. if this works i want to get into doing the real beauties like the half moons or twin tails. i look forward to letting you know.
thanks for the info.
I like the twin tails and half moons also, i think my favorite are the cambodians
Just float the lid on the waters surface with the sides down so it will hold the bubble nest in place
Dont be discouraged if you dont meet your expectations the first time
Please let me know how it turns out

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!