Need help with my beardies. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Chickenboi
Need help with my beardies.

idk if this is the right place but i have a question about my beardies health.About two week ago i found one of my beardies with only one finger left on his hand and his entire arm was black,my first thought was that maybe another one bit its hand while eating.Today i found one with only one working limb and the other with a nub where his hand used to be,idk wat this is or if its a disease.Any help is needed so please post your answers.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
collisonzoo
Would it be possible to post pictures? From what you are saying, it sounds like they are biting each other. How old are they? How many do you have living together? How much are you feeding them? If they are biting each other, you should split them up as soon as possible to avoid any further injuries. Keep their cages clean and dry, and hopefully they will heal.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Chickenboi
sorry no i dont have pictures i feed them mealworms 4 times a day and they are 6 weeks old.I took the biggest one from the group and it seems that the biggest one didnt have any injuries so it was him biting them ty for ur help.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
collisonzoo
Hopefully he was the guilty party and the biting will stop.

I was reading your original post and noticed this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenboi
Today i found one with only one working limb
If I understand this correctly, it sounds like 3 of the limbs are paralyzed? I recommend changing the diet of your beardies. Mealworm shells are extremely hard to digest and can lead to paralysis in young bearded dragons. Crickets no bigger than the distance between the lizard's eyes are a much better and safer diet for beardies. If the beardie does indeed have paralyzed limbs, you can try the procedure mentioned in this thread: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...297#post398297

I hope that helps. If you have any other questions, let me know. Keep us posted on how they are doing.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Oh wow, I hope that you separated the smaller one. It is never a good idea to put a larger dragon in with a smaller one as dominance issues arise.
Did you clean up the wounds with betadine as as antiseptic? You will need to put some neosporin or polysporin ointment on the affected areas as well.
What type of substrate do you have? As suggested, mealworms cause impactions in bearded dragons.
After reading the hyperlink, if you need further direction in how to treat for impaction, please let us know.
Are you going to see vet care for the bite wounds? They may get infected.
I hope he is doing better. Please keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!