glass terrarium advice? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Jessclarke
glass terrarium advice?

Help! I just bought a brand new 40L glass terrarium today at the Tampa Rep. Show and it's cracked. The seller won't be back to Tampa until the October show and I cannot afford to buy a new one. There is a broken piece that is a half circle about 3 inches long at the top. Can I use silicon to "fix it" until I can return it to the show in october? Is there a better way to fix broken glass??

Jess

Old 03-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #2
David Boggs
Broken Glass

If the glass is cracked but still in place try using packing tape to hold it in place. Put the tape inside and out just make sure none of the sticky part is anywhere the herp can contact it. It the piece of glass is loose then remove it and get a piece of flat cardboard like a shoe box and tape it on the inside. Leave no gaps. This will patch up the hole until you can exchange the aquarium in the fall. I would not recommend silicone, contact cement or industrial adhesive due to the fumes and potential toxic affect it may have on your herp. Although not aesthetically pleasing, the above mentioned patch jobs should be sufficient to contain most herps.

Good luck
David Boggs

Old 03-15-2004, 07:56 AM   #3
Jessclarke
Update

Ok, I needed to replace the caulking that was holding the top on anyway, so once the silicone was stripped off, I was able to assess the damage more. The piece was completely in tact. I decided to use some quick dry super glue to hold the piece in place. It is very sturdy. I now have to replace the caulking that was used to secure the top rim. Any suggestions? The cracked piece falls above the bottom of the plastic rim and therefore is not visible. There are no sharp edges. I will probably secure it with some packing tape to make sure. What kind of adhesive do you suggest that I use to secure the plastic top? If silicone is not good, what can I use? Aquarium sealant?? Thanks for your help!

Jess

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!