My First Tarantula - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 06-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
droogievesch
My First Tarantula

I recently bought a Rose Hair Tarantula, and I've had it now for almost a week. It hasn't eaten anything and hasn't really ever moved from its corner. Is it still getting acclimated to its new home? I bought the tarantula in an already set up cage, so it's not like I completely shocked it with a brand new environment. Also, I found a black bump on the top of it's head today that wasn't there yesterday and I thought it was its eye at first, but then I looked again and that is definitely not the case. It wouldn't be a parasite or anything like that would it? I know when it begins to molt there will be something on its abdomen, but this is right on top of its head. I probably shouldn't worry so much but it's my first one and it doesn't seem to do anything that anyone elses does (play "bulldozer", eat, move, make webs...)

*sigh*

maybe I suck at the whole tarantula keeping idea...

Old 06-16-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
John Apple
Jenna
The bump I have no clue on what it could be with out a pic to see it.
Also if you bought the Tarantula in a container that it was in from a store it is quite possibly dehydrated. Most stores sell T's without applying the proper while the T is in their care. My guess is that the substrate is dry and i would moisten it up some or put in a water dish [shallow]. Hiding in a corner can mean many things and as hardy as rosies are they are by no means as hardy as an Usumbara.
keep us posted

Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #3
droogievesch
Thanks!

I put a large water dish in there (it's shallow, it just has a big diameter) and it didn't do anything, but a few hours later when I came back it was dipping its front legs into the water and then rubbing its face, so hopefully it was drinking. I'll try feeding it tomorrow or on Sunday. Will it recognize it's prey no matter what size or do I have to feed it something that is comparable to it's body size (his abdomen is about the size of an egg...a small egg, but an egg). As for the black lump thing it's still there, its almost like a small black tube with a round glassy thing on the top, maybe a cm total in length.

Old 06-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
John Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by droogievesch
Thanks!

I put a large water dish in there (it's shallow, it just has a big diameter) and it didn't do anything, but a few hours later when I came back it was dipping its front legs into the water and then rubbing its face, so hopefully it was drinking. I'll try feeding it tomorrow or on Sunday. Will it recognize it's prey no matter what size or do I have to feed it something that is comparable to it's body size (his abdomen is about the size of an egg...a small egg, but an egg). As for the black lump thing it's still there, its almost like a small black tube with a round glassy thing on the top, maybe a cm total in length.
Hey Jenna
The black lump sounds like an internal parasite coming of age, they usually form on the outside after feeding and then pupate out.I would like to see a picture of it cause it may even be a rupture that hardened over. Hard to tell with out a pic .
Your T is drinking so that is a good sign, luckily enough you started out with a tarantula that does well in less than favorable conditions.
Yes they recognise their food and will eat it when ready.
What is the overall size of your pet ? food items should be no bigger than the carapace.
good luck and keep us posted
take care

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!