Getting large female RTB and young dumeril's to eat.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2005, 11:38 PM   #1
hunterjackson
Getting large female RTB and young dumeril's to eat....

I am having problems getting my RTB (4 yr female--breeder) and yearling female dumeril's to eat. It has been a month for both of them. I have split the heads open on the prey and everything...any help out there???

thanks
Hunter

Old 01-28-2005, 02:43 AM   #2
hhmoore
you say it has been a month for both of them...were they feeding for you before that, or did you acquire them a month ago? After that, what are the temps: daytime and night, cool side, warm side. (this time of year can be difficult - seasonal temperature changes can certainly impact feeding habits. if you aren't already doing so, monitor your snakes' enclosures with an indoor/outdoor thermometer with min/max readings. Make sure all environmental conditions, including humidity, are correct.) are they in shed?(drier conditions in the winter, associated with normal heating, can prolong the shedding process) are you handling them often? (aside fom the potential stress factor, having your snakes out this time of year exposes them to cooler temps). all the usual questions apply here - what were they eating before? Has anything changed environmentally? blah blah blah

Old 01-28-2005, 05:39 AM   #3
DAND
Hunter,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a few questions to add to the ones Harald asked. Do you know what were they eating prior to this lull in feeding (live, f/t, fresh killed)? My experience with Dumeril's has always been good when feeding rats as opposed to mice. The large female RTB should be eating rats but some people feed rabbits or chicken. If you have just recently acquired them you should find out what the previous owner was feeding them.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
hunterjackson
well....here are the answers

Alright....i aquired the large female RTB recently. She was eating large rats, from the place i got her, and i am getting the same rats that she was eating. I do handle them some. I imagine they are slightly stressed. the female went to the vet yesterday, and then to visit her previous owner. the dumeril's got out the night before for about 6 hours, finally found her in one of my shoes.

the dumeril's has eatin for me before, a couple of times. the temps are from about 86 during the day to about 82 at night. hoppy, on ks, gave me the idea of using chicken broth to try to stimulate the feeding. im going to leave them alone for about 36 hrs, and try again. i am thinking that the female is on a breeding fast and hard due to the time of year. she has had 2 litters at a total of 52 offspring. 46 made it to this day.

i appreciate everyone's help for a newbie.

i am just so used to my ball feeding on anything i put infront of him that i get freaked out easily!!!

humidity--checking it with a diamond crown digital hygrometer for cigars....very good hygrometer. reading in the high 40's....but i mist down daily and my RTB likes, and always, turns over her water dish.

thanks for you help, if you can think of anything more, let me know...

when is force feeding needed? i know it wont be for a long time. the RTB is chunky and slightly over weight. the dumeril's is a yearling...but still thin...but very active, so she is not sick. took the rtb to the vet....said she's perfect and ready to breed! got her a boyfriend who is all over her.

thanks
Hunter

Old 01-28-2005, 05:57 PM   #5
plizardman
Force feeding is a last ditch effort for an extrememly undernourished snake. Assist feeding (inserting the prey in the snakes mouth and holding it there an impossibly long time until the snake begins swallowing) would be the step to try sometime before it. In your case, you should not be thinking about such things period! For captive animals, snake feeding is a once a week deal unless you are trying to power feed your animals for fast growth. Then twice in 10 days or maybe 2x a week is how you might feed. I think for a healthy snake missing up to a month of feeding is like you missing breakfast one day. Also, snakes in their natural habitat usually face some climatic, hormonal, behavioral or environmental change that would give them a period of reduced activity or reduced foraging. A snake that misses meals for natural reasons rarely loses any noticable weight over the course of the fast.
My Dumerils usually reduce or stop feeding through a good piece of the winter. My guess is it coincides with a rainy or dry period in their natural habitat, and in this part of their life cycle, this is the time my adults breed. My babies usually slow or stop feeding as well, and even though they may not feed for 2 or more months, they usually show no weight loss by the time they begin feeding again.
I agree with the other posts. Dumerils babies definetly prefer live rat pups to anything else, and if they are ready to eat, that will turn the trick - But for now I wouldn't worry and instead take it slow. By the way, once the dumerils turn on, they are insatiable and consistent feeders untill the following winter. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
hunterjackson
once again, thanks!

thanks for the help. I will try to find some rat pups...but she isnt loosing weight yet!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!