It appears I have 2 male Anoles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
DraconiZ
Question It appears I have 2 male Anoles

i'm not quite sure what to do, safe to say i spent a fortune getting a decent sized tank for 2 anole lizards - as i read that they're better off and happier if they're not on their own.
I bought 2 of the lizards, one is about an inch longer than the other but they're both in reasonable health (considering they only got back from the pet shop the other day), the only problem is that they seem intent on attacknig each other.
I know (after he raised his flap at me) that the larger one (Thor) is male, and i have a suspicion the little one (Loki) is also male.
clearly Thor is the dominant male, but Loki wont give up and despite his size he fights back.

I really cant afford to buy another cage and the lighting and heating for it, is there any way at all these 2 could live together? or am i best to ocassionally give Loki some respite from Thor?

Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
aliceinwl
Back when I had green anoles, I never had much luck keeping multiple males together. Even when I had a group of them in a 100 gallon with plenty of visual barriers, the males would find each other and fight. I've kept trios in 10 gallon tanks and they did very well (this was the only viable solution I could find for housing excess males). You may want to get Loki his own 10 gallon. Females will have a much shorter, delicate looking head than males and a very distinct white vetebral stripe. It takes a bit of practice to sex immatures and lately most of the petshops that I've been to have been getting in about 95% males so finding females can be tough.

-Alice

Old 02-20-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
DraconiZ
thanks, i'll have to persevere with them being in the same tank for a whie i guess, cos i cant really afford the lighting and heating etc for a seperate tank - or the space!!

Old 02-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #4
NiCoLe L RuSSeLL
what size tank is it?
You can buy a tank divider until you hav extra cash.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
DraconiZ
its a 20 gallon tank at the moment, my main concern is that i havent seen loki around for a while and thor steals all the light. might have ot get like a fish tank or something at least until he's a bit stronger and maybe get a daylight bulb or something - cos i cant afford another d3 bulb

Old 02-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #6
NiCoLe L RuSSeLL
is the bulb a Tube? or a scrw in?
In either case--place the bulb so both sides gets the light---then buy a cheap tank divider...

Old 04-28-2006, 07:56 AM   #8
conkerboy
they could be mating. when they mate they can be quite vicous until you see the smaller one dispay his/her dewlap you wont no but im sure that if it were male it would be displaying to the other male

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!