Chinchilla questions: Help Please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
akaangela
Chinchilla questions: Help Please

I rescued 2 chinchilla's on sat. There is a male and a female. The female is so sweet and friendly. She hops into my hand and is bright eyed and fun to watch. The male is very reserved. He is not as active as the girl. I know they are nocturnal but I haven't seen him move too much. They are in a very small cage (16x12x22) with one shelf. She will jump up and down off and onto the shelf but he just stays on the shelf hunched up. He cuddles up to her all the time.

I am going to build them a bigger cage (24 x24 x36) this week. I plan to start on it tomorrow.

They didn't have hay in the cage when I picked them up and their fur was greasy. I let them take a dust bath sat and again today. They seemed to really enjoy it. I heard one of them make a strange squeaking noise. It sounded like a what a ball python does when they have a terrible respiratory infection and it was long. It obviously was some kind of call because they don't do it all the time. I have grass hay in with them at all times now and am feeding them what they where getting when I picked them up (kaytee chinchilla mix)

I have been reading all I can about them but there is a LOT of contradictory information on the web (more so than most). What can I do to make them comfortable while I am making their new cage? I have not handled them much, just into and out of the dust bath and I let her hop into my hand run up my arm and then turned her around and put her back into her cage.

The day I got them the male was making funny calling to her and was swishing his tail. It looked (from what I found on the net) like he was mating with her.

Please any help with these two would be greatly appreciated. The guy I got them from didn't even know how old they where.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
StrictlyExotics
Angela, let them have their Dust bath as much as possible as its very important to their skin and coat. Now, I am no expert on Chins but I have owned a few in the past so I can only answer based on my beginner knowledge.

You are correct though, the caging is way too small. The quicker you get the new one built, the better they will be. I am sure it sounds like the male is courting the female and the sounds you hear might either be her fending him off, or him succeeding (I am not sure). As long as they are not killing each other, I am sure they will be fine together, for now. My chins did not live in the same cage, but I did have tubes running to and from each cage for breeding. I would seperate them when you do get the new cage built though. Also, give the cages different levels as they do like to climb. Good luck and I hope any of the info I gave helps.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
exo_pets
Hi Angela,
In the summer time it is good to give them a "cooling rock" I use a marble slate. Also make sure you don't have any plastic product with them as they love to chew. Their teeth are continuously growing so it is important to get some chew blocks for them.
Hope this helps!

Enjoy them,
Mallory

Old 07-23-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
RogerProws
A few notes-

I would seperate them, if they were in a rescue situation she likely will develope issues if she is bred, it is very hard on them.

Also, upgrade the diet. Either mazuri or kaytee timothy complete are MUCH better.

Check their teeth, make sure they are nice and orange. If they are too light it is a sign of a calcium deficiency.

Look for abscess, it is common and can be serious.

Just some antecdotes from my time breeding and rescuing chins.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!