Massachusetts state law issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 07-23-2003, 01:59 AM   #1
Adamanteus
Massachusetts state law issues

State Homepage - http://www.mass.gov/

State Legislature - http://www.state.ma.us/legis

State Statutes/Code - http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/cmr.html

Old 05-24-2004, 11:42 AM   #2
lizards&dragons
Question on laws

Some people say that reptiles in MA need warranties and others say they don't. Do they? Please help me out.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
Sand&SunReptile
Great references, but where the heck are the reptilian laws?
I must be internet illterate because I can never find anything on a website that starts off in a vague location.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
Seamus Haley
It's not an official state page (Massachusetts' state laws are a pain to search, the keyword function is screwy) but http://www.neherp.com/ is the New England Herpetological Society. In the menu to the left there is a listing for "MA Herptile Permits" which will load the latest (latest right now anyway) reptile related laws for Massachusetts.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:43 PM   #5
Sand&SunReptile
Thanks Seamus.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #6
Sand&SunReptile
You can have burms, no permit required, but you cant have Etbs or GTPs unless you got a permit?
Thats odd.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #7
Sand&SunReptile
Hey Peter,
View the other post in the section. And go to Seamus' link.
It has all the legal snakes, and what needs a permit.

Old 09-19-2004, 08:00 PM   #8
Seamus Haley
If you mean a health guarantee after a purchase... Nope, there is no legal obligation for a herp to come with a warantee in Massachusetts. I do believe there are some laws which make a health guarantee manditory for some mammals and birds exist, but I don't know the specifics and there are some odd definitions and exclusions (like anything considered edible).

Old 09-19-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
Some of the laws have kind of transparent reasoning behind them...

Snakes over ten feet are clearly a public meanace (er... not MY thoughts here) so anacondas, retics and african rocks all need permits... But Burms are a popular species and restricting their sale or ownership would kill tax revenue generated by their sale and have pet and business owners up in arms (rightfully). Technically if any snake hits the ten foot mark you're supposed to apply for a permit every year (at twenty five bucks per animal per year) but it's largely ignored because the law is poorly thought out, poorly worded and nearly unenforceable.

For similar reasons to the "big snakes scare our registered voters" all Varanids require a permit... Including say... Ackies. But green iguanas don't.

Some of the animals (GTP, ETB, Chams) require a permit because our democrats want to appear to have a strong platform of environmental protection and those species were frequently wild caught... but more importantly they LOOK exotic. People see an ETB or a Veiled and they automatically think of rainforests. So we have some more poorly thought out, poorly worded horrible laws... That keep the bigger reptile related business out of Massachusetts to a strong degree. Regal, NERD and countless private breeders will move to every state nearby but avoid Massachusetts like the plague despite having a denser population base (more potential customers) because many of our animal ownership laws are... well, frankly they're idiotic.

Permits aren't actually that hard to get though... Call Fish and Wildlife, talk to Tom French or Bob Arini (spelling on Bob's last name?), fill out a few forms, pay your money and keep your animals.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:13 PM   #10
Sand&SunReptile
I guess so. Too bad too, I would love having NERD, Regal, or someone else closer to me than a couple hour drive. It is easier for me to go to a reptile show, than to the stores.
I would love going to the stores, because they have much more than they bring to the shows.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!