Red Belly Texas Indigos? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-16-2006, 01:35 PM   #41
epidemic
Yep!

That is one of my D. m rubidus in the photo. That particular fellow was recently placed with me by the kind folks at the Gladys Porter Zoo, as they had the only D. m rubidus within a zoological institution anywhere in the world. Since they only had a single male, I offered to give them a female and they in turn offered me their male, as I already had an established breeding program involving D. m rubidus. At the time, I had never seen the big guy and when I returned home with him, I opened the bag to find one of the most incredible Drys I have ever seen in my life! The photo does nothing to demonstrate his true size or coloration and I believe he could very well be one of the largest indigos in captivity, as he weighs just shy of 20 pounds. Another exciting fact is that he is a WC specimen, as he was intercepted at the Texas / Mexican border, as someone attempted to smuggle him into the US. I will be pairing him with a mottled female from Germany this fall. I also have another mottled pair which I will be placing together this fall and I will keep everyone up to speed regarding the results of the two pairings.
The photo Tony posted, of the DOR D. m erebennus, was sent to me by Jim Campbell, a Meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Brownsville, TX . Jim spends a good deal of time checking on remote weather stations in the South Texas area, where he encounters D. m erebennus on occasion and was kind enough to forward the photo indicated, though it sickened him to find the poor guy in that condition. It is interesting to note that the photo was taken during the am hours on 08/11/06 near Port Mansfield about 10 miles away from the coast.
I will try getting some good photos of Bubba, the now 9’ D. m erebennus I acquired from Dr. G, a couple of years ago and posting them, as to provide some indication of the coloration.

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 08-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #42
Rivets55
Super!

Thanks Jeff!

I look foward to seeing more of that rubidus - 20 lbs?!?
OMG what a monster!

If you name your snakes, and if you don't have one for him already, I propose "GODZILLA!".

Or "Tyranophidius Rex"

Regards,

John D.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:48 PM   #43
thesnakeman
i like the second one

Old 08-19-2006, 12:14 AM   #44
mmeade
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index...0763&user=7821

Here's one of last year's babies...the Wall sent me this one then.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:02 AM   #45
Rivets55
"Worlds Largest Breeder Of Drymarchon"

Quote:
Here's one of last year's babies...the Wall sent me this one then.
This is the thing that really puts me off - If I were trying to sell a $700 snake to someone who expressed an interest, who told me they wanted one, and who asked for a pic - Well, I'd be all over it like a cheap suit!

"The Wall" may indeed be the "Worlds Largest Breeder Of Drymarchon," as he styles himself. Hell, he may be the reincarnation of Clifford Pope, Raymond Ditmars, Carl Kauffeld, and Roger Conant, all-rolled-into-one!

But, that does not mean I will buy a sight-unseen Drymarchon from him, especially if there is any question about its source and/or subspecies status. And I ain't a-going to drive 600 miles and cross two state lines to see one!

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

John DeMelas

Old 08-19-2006, 01:02 PM   #46
mmeade
The Wall...

When I said "The Wall" sent me the pic I was referring to Bobby Lee, not the breeder. Bobby got that nick from his ability to block everyone else from obtaining imported yellowtails.

He is apparently VERY persuasive as he also got pics of the hatchlings in question sent to him!

No wonder he is able to scarf up all of those corais.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #47
Rivets55
Lol

My bad.
I should have simply asked what you meant.
Instead I assumed - should know better by now.

I'm still stickin to my story:

No pic = No buy.

Cheers!

JPD

Old 08-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #48
epidemic
Unfortunately

That photo leaves much to be desired in the way of actually identifying the specimen and that is the same photo I saw of Terry's '05 clutch.
Once I have the photos Brian has agreed to forward me, I wil review such and post what I find and should Brian give me permission, I will post the photos here as well.
Again, I find it very unfortunate that Terry does not communicate with others involved in teh captive husbandry of Drymarchon spp., but should his animals indeed prove to be pure D. m erebennus, there will be no denying he holds a crucial piece of the captive population of such, as there are too few unrelated D. m erebennus lines at this time.

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 08-21-2006, 11:33 AM   #49
BWSmith
I think that his manner and lack of willingness to provide information or photos regarding his lines of erebennus is what threw up red flags for most. I would not be surprised either way. But confirmation that they are, in fact, pure from an impartial third party such as yourself would set minds at ease.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!