T+ Albino questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
pokeilope
T+ Albino questions

I bought a boa not too long ago at a reptile show here in Evansville from INDY reptiles. On his display it said "Dwarf 100% het Lavender albino boa" Long story short my boyfriend bought him for me and I am curious about the T+ gene

I have seen T+ that have been more of a caramel color and then I have seen ones that have a pretty purple hue or lavender. Now is there a genetic difference in these two different colors?
I also haven't heard much about Dwarf boas either and any info on them would be awesome as well. I would love to breed and get some of the lavender-ish albino's with my male and want to know the best way of how to go about dong this. I am familiar with the regular albino genes and know those don't cross.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
ShadowAceD
I hate to be one to bring bad news, but I am pretty sure you got "taken" as far as that little boa is concerned.

First, it appears to be a Colombian type boa, therefore, not a "Dwarf". Second, as of right now, there is no such thing as a known "Lavender Albino" in the Boa world as there is in the Python world. There are some Albinos that can appear lavender like (mostly in the Sharp strain), but there is no definitive genetic link to create them.

As far as the T+ question, I do not know if you are confused about your animal being a het. for T+ or what, but your animal, if it is a het. is likely only het. for the T- Kahl Albino.

The T+ have a few different lines and a few variants. For the most part, the color is the same, I do not really know of any "lavender" T+ animals. It works in the same way that T - animals do by the gene being inherited in a recessive manner.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
I'd have to disagree with the Colombian look from what I see on my phone. That Boa has plenty of C.A. Characteristics, so may actually fit into the "dwarf" category, as it is commonly used in the hobby.

I'll have better look when I get home.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
pokeilope
I asked if he was talking about T+ albino and he said yeah. I haven't heard much about INDY reptiles, they don't have a website or anything. I can take newer pictures of him today.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
pokeilope
Here are pictures of him today.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
ShadowAceD
From the new pics it does look more CA like, though I should clarify when I stated "Colombian Type" I was meaning an animal that could be a cross or of unverified origin.

Either way, I do not know what is up with the claim of "Lavender Albino".

T-Positive animals can vary as much as regular albinos and someone may wish to enhance color specific traits in them over time, but as far as I know, there is no "Lavender T+ Albino". So, no, I do not think you would have an issue breeding another CA Het. T+ or a CA Visual T+ to it.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
Could be a cross for sure, but no telling 100%, Most a visual ID gives you is a guess. Here's mine.

C.A. Boas tend to have a cross on their head, where Colombians usually don't, but there are a few of them that do. The saddles to me say C.A., as well as that long dark tail, and body structure. Although body structure could be due to young age. I still get the C.A. impression.

As for the Het T+ Albino goes, only way to tell is breed it to another Het, or a visual T+, and see if you get visual babies.

As for the dwarf goes, I think that word is way over used. Since a lot of C.A. locales stay relatively small compared to Colombians and true Red Tails, they call them dwarf. Scientifically, dwarf Boas belong to the family Tropidophis, which don't include Boa Constrictor. I have a so called dwarf Honduran Fire Belly, who i guarantee is 7 ft long, but she is thinner structured, like C.A. Boas tend to be. On the flip side, her mate who is a year older then her, is still 3-4 foot and feeds on medium rats. He's gonna be 7 yrs soon. So not all C.A. Boas will stay small, more like SMALLER then some other ssp.

Hope that helps, but it's still just a guess.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
pokeilope
Yes very helpful I am looking to get a visual but I've seen huge price gaps between the two.

I have looked on this websitehttp://www.classreptilia.com/boa_morphs.htm And I guess I just bipassed that it said one was Central American Tyrosinase-Positive (Caramel/Lavender) Albino Boa and the other is Colombian Tyrosinase-Positive (Caramel) Albino Boa
They have a difference that I really noticed. I don't care for the Colombian but I do like the CA T+ albino. Now lets just say mine is a cross of some type and I breed him with a visual T+ CA albino. Will I have to worry about a different gene placement with the two?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 AM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
No you shouldn't have to worry about that. It's getting the T+ gene from each animal to pair up that will give you the visual T+ babies. But genetics are funny sometimes. Many of these morphs around today popped up unexpectedly, and they ran with it from there. So nobody can truly predict what might pop up, but most likely, just visual T+ and Het T+ with the pair you are talking about.

I don't follow T+ morphs very much. Some are pretty neat looking, but I believe many to be mislabeled. Just something about the mutation, and how it passes on, and how it expresses itself, that makes my mind work in another direction.

But I'm the only one in the industry who thinks that way, so...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!