Ringworm in Beardies - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-2004, 11:05 AM   #1
Krazin
Unhappy Ringworm in Beardies

I'm hoping that someone can help... I have three bearded dragons. Two are from the same breader and are in seperate enclosers, one male and one female, my female just went through a severe period of abuse from another dragon and consequently stopped eating. After two day's I started forse feeding her with Oxbow for herbivours plus an occasional wax worm and some crickets. She plumped up nicely but never started hunting on her own, so I took her to the vet and found out that she has ringworm. I have only had these dragong for three weeks and will definately have everyone (the lizards) tested to rule them out. How likely is it that they had it when I got them and how do I approach the breader to notify her that she could be host to this. Since I had the dragon treated by the vet, she has since started hunting again, I'm so happy. Thanks for your help! Kim

Old 09-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #2
Xelda
Kim, I'm glad to hear your beardie is getting better! I'm not sure what your husbandry issues are like, but if you're unsure about the source of the ringworms, you should talk with the breeder anyway. At the very least, the breeder can do spot-check tests on his/her colony to see if he indeed does have this running around his colony. It really depends on the individual breeder what kind of reaction you're going to get. Some breeders really care about their animals and will express concern for yours as well. Other breeders can be real jerks about it no matter who is at fault. Don't be surprised if they flat out deny the presence of parasites within their colony.

Old 09-03-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
nbemmer
Are you sure its ringworm and not something else like round worms, hookworms etc.? Ringworm is a fungal infection that is very easily spread through contact with other animals seen mostly in dogs and cats, normally treated with an ointment. Also if this really is ringworm i highly doubt it would have this kind of effects on the ammount the dragon is eating and weight of the animal. I'd double check what your dragon really has.

Nate Benner

Old 09-03-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
ReptileKIngdom
ringworm?

If your vet told you it was ringworm, you may want to get a new vet. Ringworm is a fungal infection and i am pretty sure reptiles can not get it, it occurs on the skin of mammals and is contagous to humans. Was a fecal done? Did the vet say it was an internal parasite like, pinworms or roundworms? If it is something like roundworms, it should be fairly easy to treat and is probably not a bad idea to have fecals done on all of your animals, and possibly treat them also. Hopefully everything works out ok.

Old 09-03-2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Krazin
Unhappy Ringworm in beardies

Hey,
Thanks for the quick reply! This whole situation with the dragons just started to unfold for me on Fri. Sept 27. She showed serious signs of stress, like...turning the nastiest color, almost black and was really depressed, she would eat nothing, but was drinking constantly. Because I had to wait until Wed to see the Dr. I thought that was way too long to go without any food so I started scheduled feedings. After two days of that her color got better but was still not eating on her own. The Dr. did do a fecal exam, I'm waiting for the others to provide so I can have them checked also. The Med's that I was given are Panacur Oral 0.06 cc. I also discussed starting them on oral calcium so I can be more accurate in giving them enough. I have three 30 Gal. tanks I use news paper as a bedding the basking area is between 95-105* the cool area is at 75-80*. My dragons are only 8 weeks old. If you all have any suggestions on good reading material let me know, I have The Bearded Dragon Manual and have tried to surround myself with knowledgable people. I feel that the more info the better. Once again, thanks for your help!
Kim

Old 09-03-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
Tom and Jackie
pinworms

If the Med's that you were given was Panacur then the problem is most likely pinworms not ringworms.

Good luck with your little guys.

Old 09-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
Krazin
Unhappy Ringworm in beardies

OK... I called the vet to get a conformation on the diagnosis. I thought it sounded kind of odd that she had ringworm because it's nearly impossible to find any cases of others with it. My husband finished up the appointment for me that day, maybe he is the loose end. Anyway he (the Dr.) won't be in until 9/4 am. then he'll let me know.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:09 PM   #8
1216dex
YOur beardie

Your vet would not have given you panacur for a ringworm infection. Your dragon has a parasitic infection of hookworms or pinworms. Ringworm is not a worm but a fungus (dermatophyte). Dermatophytes require much higher levels of moisture than your dragon should have been exposed to. I have never heard of a dragon getting ringworm, but I will not say that it cannot happen. Also, a moderator may correct me, but should this be on the BOI? Keep your dragon hydrated while on panacur!
John D. Loy

Old 09-04-2004, 02:16 PM   #9
meretseger
I'm pretty sure that reptiles CAN get ringworm, or at least fungus infections of the skin. I got ringworm once (probably from a dog) and it reeallly itched. Anyway, these comments came about a page too late in the thread, didn't they?

Erin B.

Old 09-04-2004, 03:25 PM   #10
1216dex
ringworm

Yes, I did not say that reptiles could not get it, but that I had never seen it in bearded dragons. It occurs in those animals that are kept at higher humidity levels and sub optimum temps. If he is keeping his dragon proplerly there is not enough humidity to allow for a ringworm infection. Dermatophytes require moisture, which a bearded dragon skin definetly does not provide.
John D. Loy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!