Participation in the BOI - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Lucille
Participation in the BOI

Admittedly it is rough and tumble in the BOI sometimes, but as the site has evolved there is a level of oversight that permits directness but not name calling.
It does seem to me that here on this site, and at most sites I've seen, there are some who are more verbal and others who prefer to lurk.
I do not think that people's level of participation is good or bad, it is the way they are. Lurkers for the most part read and process what they see but many times do not want to join in.

Generally, what is in the BOI is supposed to stay there only and I agree that is a good policy. However, I read a post there today that was more of a complaint and did not directly address any parties by name so I am posting it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by james delauney View Post
im not taking any sides, but i feel like the boi bashesss people to an extreme, almost.... bullying. and jump to conclusion very fast. i for one get timid to post cause people are that quick to bash. i feel like they use there strength of a computer screen to try an be the police of reptiles. i just find it very annoying that its the sammmmme people every time that tries to be sherlock holmes on here. the boi is a great thing, but people take it wayy to serious sometimes. just my 2 cents, hope i dont get blocked or crucified over this post..
The Board of Inquiry performs a service for the reptile community by having both parties and the general reptile community address issues that come up and identify both those who have done a terrific job with their transaction, and those who have not. Subsequent readers can then look through the thread and make up their mind as to whether they would do business with any of the parties involved.

Some people take the threads seriously because they are serious, the livelihoods and reputations of participants may depend on how they handle their customers or sellers.

James, if you read this, I'd be interested in seeing you expand your thoughts here and write more. The only way to effect change if in fact change is called for, is for both parties to listen and really try to understand each other. I am all ears.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
james delauney
hey lucille, i just said wat was on my mind, yes of course i agree with every word you had to just say, thats the part i agree with, but people just take it a little to far. im not the most computer literate, i really suck at expressing how i feel up here.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Helenthereef
As someone who only lurks in the BOI (being outside the USA I don't take part in transactions, therefore rarely have much to add) I do think that, while the BOI has changed DRAMATICALLY over the past few years, James does still have a valid point.

Frequently when "newish" posters chime in on an issue, especially if they are going against the overall trend of the thread, a group often seems to split off from the main topic and jump all over that poster, and I can very much see that this discourages many people from contributing, leading to domination by the more regular 'louder" voices.

I first came to this forum via a BOI thread, and I got trounced for trying to contribute a personal experience that ran contrary to the "group" opinion, when I was unknown to the regular posters. (This was a few years back when the BOI got a LOT more personal too...). I was about to drop the whole thing, when a more rational mind posted and reassured me that it wasn't all sharks in here. (Thanks!)

The thing is, James, the BOI used to be a LOT worse (albeit a lot funnier.... ), and I'm not sure how we can further regulate without turning into the thought police.

My personal advice is - stand up to any bullies and don't be put off. Your opinion is just as valid on here as anyone else's, and if you read through a lot of the threads you will find that every now and again a still small voice stands up and changes everything....

Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Just had a look at the relevant thread and wanted to add something more....

I fully understand that the moderators job is not an easy one, and I have massive respect for those who undertake it....

However sometimes (just sometimes...) mods are a bit brusque with their comments, and, if you are a new poster, messages which seem standard to mods (e.g. a warning that someone is veering 'Off topic"), may seem like a slap in the face to the new member.

Maybe there could be a set of stock answers for people with, let's say, less than 100 posts, with slightly expanded explanations of warnings given?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
ReptileGeek181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Just had a look at the relevant thread and wanted to add something more....

I fully understand that the moderators job is not an easy one, and I have massive respect for those who undertake it....

However sometimes (just sometimes...) mods are a bit brusque with their comments, and, if you are a new poster, messages which seem standard to mods (e.g. a warning that someone is veering 'Off topic", may seem like a slap in the face to the new member.

Maybe there could be a set of stock answers for people with, let's say, less than 100 posts, with slightly expanded explanations of warnings given?
Yeah I totally agree.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post

Frequently when "newish" posters chime in on an issue, especially if they are going against the overall trend of the thread, a group often seems to split off from the main topic and jump all over that poster, and I can very much see that this discourages many people from contributing, leading to domination by the more regular 'louder" voices.
This site, and any site, should not be a 'loudocracy' where the loud dominate the quiet. (Even though the quiet are free to have their say, I understand it can be overwhelming).
But the loud often perform a service at times by saying what is on their mind if they see an unfair deal or someone scammed. To simply tell them to be quiet might not be in the best interests of all.

What do you think is a fair effective solution?

Old 07-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
ReptileGeek181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
This site, and any site, should not be a 'loudocracy' where the loud dominate the quiet. (Even though the quiet are free to have their say, I understand it can be overwhelming).
But the loud often perform a service at times by saying what is on their mind if they see an unfair deal or someone scammed. To simply tell them to be quiet might not be in the best interests of all.

What do you think is a fair effective solution?
They should just let the mods facilitate as oppose to letting third parties give their opinions and assumptions.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Snake-Queen
I think the BOI is a wonderful tool & if it wasn't for some of the "louder" voices, some scams would not have been uncovered. I am always amazed at the stuff some of them find.

While it happens, that some get trounced upon for thinking differently, it is rare IMO.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it differs from the majority.

While some BOI threads can make or break a person, for the most part it is a tool ... you have to weigh the evidence and take from the responses the overall tone and manner of theose posting.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReptileGeek181 View Post
They should just let the mods facilitate as oppose to letting third parties give their opinions and assumptions.
Here we go again (I can be loud sometimes). What would actually HELP new posters is to read the rules before they post so that they could understand how the BOI operates.

The PEER GROUP/POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS are the ones most affected by seller/buyer behavior. Thus is is appropriate and right that they have equal say in giving their opinions on how a transaction should be handled.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
ReptileGeek181
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahbroadus View Post
Here we go again (I can be loud sometimes). What would actually HELP new posters is to read the rules before they post so that they could understand how the BOI operates.

The PEER GROUP/POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS are the ones most affected by seller/buyer behavior. Thus is is appropriate and right that they have equal say in giving their opinions on how a transaction should be handled.
If they want to give an opinion they should just pm the person, the facts are always better than an opinion, just so you know.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!