Termites!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-20-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
techgirl
Termites!!

I was cleaning Mr Pink's tank today and saw termites at the bottom of his tank where the new piece of wood I bought him was laid out. I scrubbed the tank clean and cleaned all his hides and bowls. I cooked the wood for 20 minutes at 350 and then for an additional 10 at 400. Is that enough? Is there anything else I forgot to do? Thanks for the info

Old 11-20-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
PythonWallace
I don't know how long it takes wood to heat through, but if you cook it at too high of a temperature sap sometimes drips out onto the oven. I always soak new wood in water, than wrap it in foil and cook at 275 for 2 hours. 30 minutes at those temps should do it though.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #3
liquidleaf
Eeuuuugh. I would be so mad if I were you... where did you buy that wood? If it was from a pet store, I would absolutely freak on them (as you'd think wood that a pet store was selling would be sterilized in some way).

Old 11-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
techgirl
It never even occurred to me to call the pet store and let them know. I was just so mad that there were termites in my poo boa's tank. The wood looks good now since I cooked it. Next time will definitely cook it before I put it in.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!