Has this happened to anyone else? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
rcarichter
I'm honestly not sure what your friend means by 'hot'. Normally, with reptiles, that means venomous. So, no, not possible. Is it possible a mouse got in and out through a tiny opening in the screen? It has all the markings of a rodent attack, but if that wasn't the cause, there's really no other 'normal' reason for it.

Noelle

Old 07-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
Necoco
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarichter View Post
I'm honestly not sure what your friend means by 'hot'. Normally, with reptiles, that means venomous. So, no, not possible. Is it possible a mouse got in and out through a tiny opening in the screen? It has all the markings of a rodent attack, but if that wasn't the cause, there's really no other 'normal' reason for it.

Noelle
I think he means a female that hatched at what would normally be temps for hatching males. Something about them being more aggressive and infertile?

None of my tubs have screens,they're in a rack system like snakes. It's home made,so the tubs fit pretty tightly and the only holes are ones I drilled for air. I'll keep an eye out for mice though,while I don't have any live ones one might have gotten into the house.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
justindh1
Wow, sounds like the female that survived was a mean son of a gun. I have never heard of anything like this happening before but have seen some pictures of serious injuries caused by another gecko. The most I have had in my experience of breeding leopard geckos was a few smaller bite marks that bled very little. I am really not a firm believer of females being hatched at male temperatures being more aggressive than ones hatched at female temps.

I would almost bet that the surviving female was really aggressive and didn't like to be around with any other geckos. The male could of tried to breed the virgin and she wasn't ready for him. She probably got really aggressive after that and let loose on everyone. There doesn't seem to be any other plausible explanation since the tub couldn't get accessed by anything out side of the enclosure.

Leopard geckos aren't really a social species but can be housed together if they are watched closely at first. This really reiterates the importance of keeping a eye on any geckos that are introduced to each other. If you hear or see anything out of the norm then you should investigate it further. Just a really tough learning experience. Sorry for the loss of all your geckos.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #14
Necoco
Quote:
Originally Posted by justindh1 View Post
Wow, sounds like the female that survived was a mean son of a gun. I have never heard of anything like this happening before but have seen some pictures of serious injuries caused by another gecko. The most I have had in my experience of breeding leopard geckos was a few smaller bite marks that bled very little. I am really not a firm believer of females being hatched at male temperatures being more aggressive than ones hatched at female temps.

I would almost bet that the surviving female was really aggressive and didn't like to be around with any other geckos. The male could of tried to breed the virgin and she wasn't ready for him. She probably got really aggressive after that and let loose on everyone. There doesn't seem to be any other plausible explanation since the tub couldn't get accessed by anything out side of the enclosure.

Leopard geckos aren't really a social species but can be housed together if they are watched closely at first. This really reiterates the importance of keeping a eye on any geckos that are introduced to each other. If you hear or see anything out of the norm then you should investigate it further. Just a really tough learning experience. Sorry for the loss of all your geckos.
That's probable more possible. Although it wasn't real close since I'd put two other groups together at the time,I had checked on that group 4 times within the first hour of putting them together and as of then nothing had really happened other then some hides had been moved. The reason I never checked when I heard the thrashing is that it was quite common for the hides and stuff to get knocked around quite a lot so it really didn't dawn on me to check at the time,though I'll certainly be checking from now on. XP

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!