Buyer to get left paying PayPal fees? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
lillyorchid
Question Buyer to get left paying PayPal fees?

I've used PayPal many times over the years, I've kinda gotten out of the herp world over the past few years. Recently I've been looking at a few animals and I even went as far as trying to buy one. All was well until the seller told me that I had to send the payment to him as a "gift" to avoid fees, I declined in doing so due to that voiding all buyer protection. He now has resent the invoice with a new total and is saying I will need to pay for the PayPal fee's to cover him. WHAT!? Since when has this been going on? The animal was supposed to be $300.00 shipped but now I have a invoice for $360.70 shipped.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #2
snowgyre
Some sellers charge paypal fees. I avoid those sellers. If they wish to avoid the fees, they can always accept other forms of payment (e.g. personal checks, money orders, etc.). Charging buyers paypal fees is dishonest... the seller benefits more from using Paypal's services than the buyer, so the seller should be responsible for covering Paypal's fees.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
snowgyre
Also, Paypal's fees DO NOT amount to $60 for a $300 amount. You are being ripped off. Paypal's fees are 2.9% + $0.30 for each transaction. For a $300 transaction, the seller is being charged $9, NOT $60.70. I would back out of the deal and avoid the seller in the future. A BOI post is warranted on the seller if the amount you stated is not a typo.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #4
Reptile Frenzy
Yeah I never charge a buyer paypal fees! Paypal charges me 3% but that is part of running the business. I have had customers send it friends and family but that was on their own accord. I have done the same for other people. Its up to you but you shouldnt be asked to do so. I PM'd you about tricks also!

Old 09-21-2015, 01:08 AM   #5
sschind
Hopefully this wasn't your white whale because my advice to you would be to walk away. As far as I know this seller is violating at least two of paypal's TOS (requesting the gift transfer and adding fees to the invoice) the addition of a further 60 bucks is simply an attempt to rip you off. If it were me I'd send a simple thanks but no thanks and look elsewhere for the animal.

Normally when I see "buyer pays PP fees" I just hit the back button and look elsewhere but I have paid PP fees as a buyer a few times. In order for me to do that three criteria have to be met. 1) It has to be an animal I really wanted. 2) It has to be stated up front in the ad. 3) The price still has to be acceptable.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
MrTPlush
I don't find anything wrong with requesting a buyer to pay the fees...but $60 is not even close and a total scam. Back out and avoid

Old 09-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #7
SPJ
It's against the TOS of paypal for the buyer to pay the fees. Any seller asking for the fees needs to be reported to paypal and have their account shut down.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
It's against the TOS of paypal for the buyer to pay the fees. Any seller asking for the fees needs to be reported to paypal and have their account shut down.
Exactly. The price should already include any PayPal or swipe fees if a credit card is used. The seller can offer a cash discount if the buyer chooses to pay in cash or equivalent such as a USPS MO.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #9
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
Exactly. The price should already include any PayPal or swipe fees if a credit card is used. The seller can offer a cash discount if the buyer chooses to pay in cash or equivalent such as a USPS MO.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
MrTPlush
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Actually(correct me if I am wrong) but you can request the buyer to pay the fees. To do this I think the seller must set it up and send an invoice to the buyer. If the buyer just sends money as a goods/services I don't think it gives this option and instead will just subtract the fees before the seller receives payment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!