North Carolina state law issues - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > USA State Specific Issues

Notices

USA State Specific Issues Issues that are specific to a particular state, or subregion within a state, should be appended to the existing relevant thread. NEW threads cannot be created in this forum.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #21
BurmGirl
I received an email this morning from Sen. Jerry Tillman. Her is his response to my email yesterday morning.

Sheri,

Thanks for the e-mail regarding Garwood's bill banning inherently dangerous animals. I agree, this bill will possibly have an adverse affect on shops like yours. I will do all I can to support changes in this bill to exempt the larger boids from this legislation.

Sincerely,

Jerry W. Tillman
Senate District 29
(919) 733-5870

I believe there are those who will listen and have open minds, we just have to be careful how we represent ourselves.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #22
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurmGirl
I believe there are those who will listen and have open minds, we just have to be careful how we represent ourselves.
That is the main thing. Any correspondence must be intelligent and above all civil. Berating an elected official for their ignorance as well as their arrogance, despite the truth in it, will result in making enemies when we need all the allies we can get in the senate.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:59 PM   #23
herperus
Senator Garwood sent me a reply to the email i sent him.

"I appreciate your e-mail. Senate Bill 1032 is still under development. I am working with the appropriate state agencies to ensure it meets the needs of animal owners and protects public safety. The bill currently contains provisions to allow owners of animals regulated by the bill to obtain permits. The final version will also have such language.

Your concerns will be taken into consideration. Thank you for your interest and comments.

Senator John Garwood"

Old 03-31-2005, 01:26 PM   #24
herperus
I'm not sure if this will help but the bill is in this commitee,so I think these are the people we should concentrate on at the moment.

Judiciary II
Meets Tuesdays, Thursdays at 10:00 AM in 1124 LB
Chairman: Sen. Fletcher L. Hartsell, Jr.
Vice Chairman: Sen. Austin M. Allran
Vice Chairman: Sen. Scott Thomas
Ranking Minority Member: Sen. Hugh Webster
Members: Sen. Tom Apodaca, Sen. Bob Atwater, Sen. Doug Berger, Sen. Stan Bingham, Sen. Walter H. Dalton, Sen. Charlie S. Dannelly, Sen. Katie G. Dorsett, Sen. James Forrester, Sen. W. Edward (Eddie) Goodall, Sen. Malcolm Graham, Sen. Robert Lee Holloman, Sen. Jim Jacumin, Sen. John H. Kerr III, Sen. Eleanor Kinnaird, Sen. John Snow, Sen. A. B Swindell

Old 04-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #25
BurmGirl
Angry NC Governor's office response to my email

This is the response I got to my email to the governor's office.

Dear Ms. Vernon:

Thank you for your e-mail concerning Senate Bill 1032, Protection of Inherently Dangerous Animals, introduced by Senator Garwood. The bill as currently written would classify the following types of reptile, or any hybrids based on one of these species, as 'inherently dangerous' and regulate their possession:

1.. Family Varanidae - only water monitors and crocodile monitors.
2.. Family Boidae - all species whose adult length has the potential to exceed eight feet in length.
3.. Family Colubridae - only boomslangs and African twig snakes.
4.. Family Elapidae (cobras, mambas, etc.) - all species.
5.. Family Nactricidae - only keelback snakes.
6.. Family Viperidae (vipers) - only nonindigenous species.
7.. Family Helodermatidae (beaded lizards, Gila monsters, etc.) - all species.
8.. Family Hydrophiidae (sea snakes, etc.) - all species.
9.. Family Atractaspidae (mole vipers, etc.) - all species.

Senate Bill 1032 would allow for people who own an animal listed in the bill to apply for an annual ownership license from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources. The bill would require additionally caging and environmental requirements, and all licensed animals would have to be sterilized. The breeding and sale of 'inherently dangerous animals' would be illegal.

We ask that you also share your concerns with your representatives in the General Assembly as they discuss the matter. You may reach them at www.ncleg.net.

Thank you,

Mickey Fanney
Office of the Governor

Sterilizing reptiles?? Come on, that is just ridiculous!

Old 04-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #26
BurmGirl
Clay, I believe you are right in that we need to find out when they will be meeting and send a delegation. If one hundred or more sane, rational and reasonable voters show up, then that will at least get their attention and make them open to hearing facts and statistics. I will be in on that trip, even if I have to close my shop up for a couple of days to make it. Just let me know. Thanks!

Old 04-06-2005, 08:27 AM   #27
MSRHINOVIPER
I recieved the same email from the govs. office. Sounds like they are just sending it to everyone that has emailed them.
When you find out the meeting day please let everyone know because I have a few people that need to be there because of what they own.
I have recieved a few other emails that sounded real good from a few others. They were not fot this bill at all. Said they did not think it would even make it to the table. Lets hope they are right!!!!
Thanks,
Shawn

Old 04-10-2005, 08:49 AM   #28
Will Leary
I have some good info posted on my website, including sample letters, links to Senate Bill 1032, email address links for all of the representatives involved (Judiciary II committee), links to other sites with good info, etc...

Link to our webpage: http://www.reptilicusreptiles.net/htm2/reptileban.htm
Link to Gray Rushin's webpage: http://www.allboas.com/sb1032.htm

I would strongly encourage everyone to write in and voice their opinions. However, when you write please be sure to address them in a calm, rational and respectful manner. Professionalism is vitally important! If you are rude or obnoxious they will likely disregard your letter. You will have the most impact if you are polite and "to the point." Also watch your grammar and spelling. I plan to organize a group of NC reptile breeders/keepers to attend the hearings in Raleigh just as soon as they start. I'll keep updates on our website regarding both dates and times so stay tuned! If you need help, I would be happy to review and edit your letters before you send them in.

Sincerely,

Old 05-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #29
CarolinaReptileShows
On line petition, oppose bill 1032

The petition opposing NC bill 1032 is on line as of today and it only takes a minute to sign the petition. http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/opposeNCbill1032/

Tony Cueto

Old 05-24-2005, 08:11 PM   #30
Clay Davenport
Well, good news. Due in a large part to the huge negative reception the bill has received, mainly our email and phone campaign, the bill has been converted from a potential law to a study bill.
The state is now required to conduct a study on the keeping of wild animals, and the potential hazards to the general public as well as the impact any legislation would have. As a part of the new bill, the agency conducting the study will be required to talk to the breeders and keepers themselves as well as other associated groups.
This is very good for us. It will make them consider the effects the reptile legislation would have that I am sure they have until now been unaware of.
I thank everyone who wrote letters or made calls. Without that this bill would have become law and we'd be stuck with it.

Below is a new article from the associated press discussing the change in the bill.

-----------------------------------
N.C. agency to study exotic animal safety, breeding

The Associated Press

The state Department of Environment and Natural Resources would study how to protect the public from dangerous animals, including whether the public should be allowed to own them, in a bill approved Monday in the Senate.

The bill was prompted in part by the December 2003 death of a 10-year-old boy who was killed by a tiger his aunt kept in her Wilkes County backyard.

The original bill, filed by Sen. John Garwood, R-Wilkes, and backed by the N.C. Zoological Park in Asheboro, would have restricted the private ownership of exotic snakes, cats, wolves and other exotic animals that posed an inherent risk to humans.

Garwood, however, agreed to turn the bill into a study measure after receiving scores of messages from current exotic animal owners, many of whom make a living raising them.

The study commission led by the department would report back to the General Assembly with recommended for the 2006 legislative session. The department would be required to consult with wild animal breeders, small zoo owners, humane organizations and others.

Hopefully, Garwood said, the panel can find ways to "protect people but still give consideration to people who raise exotic animals."

The measure, approved by a vote of 46-0, now goes to the House for consideration.
-----------------------
http://www.the-dispatch.com/apps/pbc...98&cachetime=5

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!