What to expect out of False Water Cobras - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-16-2016, 03:54 AM   #1
deviljho
What to expect out of False Water Cobras

So i've set my heart on getting 4 snakes this upcoming year. 3 Western Hognoses for breeding and, as the title of this thread suggests, one False Water Cobra for a hobby snake. I currently have a pet California kingsnake, and have experience with ball pythons and cornsnakes.

I have quite a few unanswered questions about the species and was wondering if you all could help. What is the consensus for handling Falsies, free or with a hook, or something in the middle? What is care like for this snake? Should i get a male or female, if that makes any difference in personality? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
arex83
I'm only speaking from the perspective of owning one male juvenile false water. However, my experience has not been that different from what I've read from others. I handle him no differently than how I handle my other snakes. He is extremely docile and inquisitive. Right now he is in blue and still poked his head out of his substrate when I came into the room to check out things. The most I've ever seen from him is a slight hooding up, but I've never remotely considered using a hook. Care is very simple, as they eat anything and everything you throw their way. He is in a large exo terra and uses every bit of the space. 70% of the time he is burrowed, the other 30% he spends basking, soaking, and even climbing his branches. Despite the sun bathing, I keep him at ambient room temps as I've heard too much heat is not good for them. He's also very messy, so I check his enclosure daily - any feces that need to be spot cleaned can be sniffed out pretty quickly. I've heard that males grow VERY quickly compared to females, but both can become quite large with no major difference between the sexes. Mine is growing like a weed. You'll love yours. Bob Long has some really pretty ones right now at a really good price.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
deviljho
Excellent to hear! And unless he can hold one for me I cannot purchase one at this point, I won't be able to actually buy it until around May of next year. Are Hypos much more expensive then normals?

Old 10-17-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
deviljho
Also i'm looking at getting a 30 gal snake rack. Would 30 gal suffice for a couple yeara of a FWC Life? At least till i can afford another cage haha.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!