Tortoise Health - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:05 PM   #31
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Do you mean the excess white on the top of the shell? Is the shell hard or soft?
Are you providing good quality UVB & calcium supplementation? What type of UVB are you using?

Tracie

Old 11-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #32
baybay
HI,

i am talking about the axcess white. i dont currently use any calcium supliment, but i would like too i am just not sure how much, wen, or what kind. I am currently using a zoo med 50 wt heat light, i was told that was good uvb output by the petstore. I think his shell is pretty hard but i have nothing to compare it too.Thanks for all you hellp

Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM   #33
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

The best calcium supplement that you can use is Repcal calcium, & for an adult you should use that 3 times weekly.
The Zoomed basking light is most likely not a UVB light. So you are going to have to get a UVB light. The best sources would be a T-rex active UV heat or a Megaray, both of which are mercury vapor bulbs. They are high output UVB so, only use them if you have an enclosure that is at least a 40 gallon, ok?
Otherwise, use a reptisun 10 flourescent tube bulb, or a reptiglo 8 flourescent tube bulb, along with your basking light.
If you do get a Mercury vapor bulb, you most likely will not need to use much, if any other supplemental heating along with that light.

Tracie

Old 11-26-2007, 05:25 PM   #34
baybay
Thanks for the info. i currently have a 55 gallon so i am getting a t-rex bulb to provide heat and uvb. but i do feel a little bit better because i found out from some long time cherry head keepers that the white marbling on the shell is common amoung there species. But i still cant beleive the stupid petstore actualy told me a zoo med had good uvb output, I do not trust them at all now. Thanks everyone with all the good info.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 AM   #35
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybay
Thanks for the info. i currently have a 55 gallon so i am getting a t-rex bulb to provide heat and uvb. but i do feel a little bit better because i found out from some long time cherry head keepers that the white marbling on the shell is common amoung there species. But i still cant beleive the stupid petstore actualy told me a zoo med had good uvb output, I do not trust them at all now. Thanks everyone with all the good info.

That "marbling" is normal? If it is, I am going to get me one!! It's very unusual *I like unusual*.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 AM   #36
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Wow that is interesting, marbling is normal? I have not seen that before.
Well, the Zoomed has a Mercury Vapor Bulb is that what you have, or do you just have a regular basking bulb? IF you have the Mercury vapor bulb, it is ok, but not great. The UVB is not very high for a mercury vapor bulb & has early burn out. If you want good UVB output, I would go with the T-Rex active UV heat or the Megaray both have great output. The Megaray lasts longer though than the T-rex does.

Tracie

Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #37
deborahbroadus
I have the reptile surgery book, it's chock full of goodies about illnesses and diseases...if I find time (having a bit of a rat situation) I will look though it and see if it mentions marbling.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #38
baybay
Ya i know i guess it was a pro i never new about . i was so suprised wen i found i out i almost didnt belive it, but many people have said it is common. well i will see ya all later i am going to take mate to the vet.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #39
deborahbroadus
Let us know what the vet says. I am more inclined to listen to professionals than other people. In the meantime, I'll be looking for a girl for myself. (no I am not wanting to breed).

Old 11-28-2007, 06:34 PM   #40
baybay
OK when i went to the vet the first thing i asked about was this weird shell marbeling. she said it was normal for this breed and that he had a very nice shell compared to last time( i saw her a year ago shortly after i got him from petco) I was very suprised at her reactions, but i geuss they were good

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!