This is an emergency!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
baybay
Exclamation This is an emergency!!!

MY tortoise just had bubbles come out of his nose this has never happend!! what do i do? it has been warm in there and he did eat some yesterday. He was fine yesterday but last night it got down to 60 degrees becuase his night time light broke. i aredy went out and got him a new one. does this have anything to do with it? please anyone help!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
Cat_72
I am not a tortoise expert by ANY stretch of the term....but I wouldn't think his light going out just for last night would cause him to come down with an illness already by this morning.

Hopefully someone with more tort knowledge will step in soon to give you better advice, but for now I would say to simply make sure he is nice and warm, and make a vet appointment first thing Monday morning. As long as he is still eating and active, he'll probably be fine until tomorrow.

Depending on what kind of enclosure you have him in, I'm guessing that since you are in Ohio, it may have been getting a bit cooler than normal in his enclosure, I know I've had to "up" my heaters a bit in a couple of enclosures, the Iowa winter has been kicking in here. Double check to make sure he's got proper warm temps, with an accurate thermometer.

Good luck.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
monkeywrench133
Sounds like a respritory infection, and he's probably had it for a while if he's got mucus bubbles coming out of his nose. You need to get him to a vet as soon as possible.

What are the temps in the cage normally? and what type of tortoise is it?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
baybay
He is a cherry head red foot tortoise. His temps should be around 80-85 degrees in his warm area.Those are his noramal temps during the day. But at night i try to keep it around 75. i have had a heater in there at night since late october to keep it warm to prevent this. i took him out of his tank and just misted him, then the bubbles started. thanks everyone for there fast replies.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
baybay
ok i made a vet appointment and cranked the heat

Old 11-25-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
Serafim
after a little reading online and some experience with redfoot torts it recommended to give them a basking spot of about 90 degrees. I housed ours outside this summer when the temps were warmer and they were kept at about 88-90 degrees in the day and low 80's high 70's at night with no respitory issues. Hope all works out for you.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
baybay
Thanks everyone your all a good help

Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Great thanks for helping her. Yes, the basking of 90 is much better than 85. Especially if he has a respiratory infection. Did you get him to the vet today?
I hope he gets to feeling better soon.

Tracie

Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
baybay
I just got it up to about 90 today. i have a vet appointment for tommorow. Wish him luck

Old 11-27-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
Cat_72
Please let us know what the vet has to say, good luck!

Here's a really good link to some tort info that you may find helpful as well:

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/vivarium.htm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!