Tri-color Hogs needs are different than east/west - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-30-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
kate53703
Tri-color Hogs needs are different than east/west

Hello all-

I recently required a neonate tricolor hog male, and after a lot have reaserch, I have discovered that they are very different from US hogs.

1. They are Diurnal (Daytime) and a little bit crepuscular, but they have to have a 12 hour photo period (Daylights are fine, they do not require UVB).

2. They need at least 3 inches of substrate to burrow in. (I am using calci-sand), but there are many options.

3. At night, they prefer total darkness, and a heating pad under one side that is either on constantly, or during the night. (mine is constant).

4. Tricolors, in the wild, in Bolivia & Uraguay (where they are from) as neonates, are insectivores until they are large enough for newborn pinkies. I use can o' worms, can o' pillars, and small can o' crickets from zoo med.

I found this out after many feeding attempts, and frusteration, and researched them pretty thouroughly.

My tricolor (Wilber) has just had his second shed, and is doing well on this diet.

Also-T-Rex has discontinued Lizard-Maker, once you move to pinks you may need this. You will have to Google to see who still has it. I found one bottle.

If you need help, or have questions, my email is: kate53703@yahoo.com

Old 12-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Quote:
4. Tricolors, in the wild, in Bolivia & Uraguay (where they are from) as neonates, are insectivores until they are large enough for newborn pinkies. I use can o' worms, can o' pillars, and small can o' crickets from zoo med.
Patricia,

I hope you refer to Lystrophis D'Orbigny (although not found in Bolivia), and not L. semicinctus or L. pulcher which are not native to Uruguay. Other countries that you left out are certain regions of Brazil, Argentina, and Paraguay (particularly for L. semicinctus).

As neonates they feed eagerly on small tadpoles, tiny frogs, and toads. In over thirty years of experience with the species I have never witnessed CB neonates that would eat invertebrates, nor have I seen insect parts in their excreta. If you can document that with pictures the scientific community will be indebted.

Regards.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
kate53703
Tri-color neonates

Thank you for the clarification. I have no idea exactly which region mine (Wilber) came from, but he is eating canned worms, canned caterpilars, and small canned crickets. I recieved him out of the egg, and he balked at newborn mice, washed and unwashed, and also scented with lizard maker. His diet and photo period are working for him, I have seen him emerge from his 3 inches of sand to bask during the day, and he just shed perfectly, and is growing, so I am going with this approach, and trying newborn pinks when he is larger. I will see if I can get some pics-He is quite shy.

BTW- I go by Kate, I don't go by Patricia

Old 12-31-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
kate53703
Hello again- I decided to post the link for the sight, so that you can have a look at it, and then tell me what you think.

http://www.hognose.com/pages/care/tri.htm

Thank you,
Sincerely,
Kate

Old 12-31-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Kate,

I've seen that link but I will have to believe you if you say so. Dust your insects with vitamins and minerals though!

Wild neonates have been known to also eat lizards of the genus Pantodactylus (are very small and slender) which are abundant in their area of distribution. Wild baby listrophis can oftentimes be found "fishing" for small tadpoles in small, shallow temporary ponds.

Good luck with yours!

Old 01-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #6
kate53703
Should I try tadpoles as well? His water dish could accomodate a few. I have been dusting the insects, but I am up for trying anything. I am just having a hard time finding things that he will eat. I have also been looking for really small frozen frogs, and have newborn pinks (frozen), one of which I may try tonight. I also have 2 tubes of jumpstart, lizard maker, and carnivore emergency aid, but I am truing not to resort to them unles I have to.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #7
kate53703
Hello again-

Do you know of anyone who breeds tad poles? His dish would be big enough for one at a time, if there are any available anywhere. BTW I do also have some insect excrement, I just have to get the sand of and will send a pic very soon.
Thank you,
Kate

Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
The BoidSmith
If he is eating insects for you that's great as long as you dust them with minerals. Finding tadpoles this time of the year is close to imposible. Besides you would be better off getting him used to pinkies (you can breed them yourself).

Regards.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
Suncoast Herpetological
Another possibility might be fresh hatched baby tropical fish. When I was a kid, I used to feed my garter snakes guppies. 1 to 3 day old fry should be proper size. Any tropical fish store should be able to set you up with a small group of some type of easy to care for live bearer.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the metabolism on these animals is very fast. You need to feed them frequently as babies to get any growth out of them. The first year that i bred them, I actually had 4 die of starvation on weekly feedings before someone clued me in to this. They really need at least bi and, if possible, tri weekly small meals.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Herpetological
Another possibility might be fresh hatched baby tropical fish. When I was a kid, I used to feed my garter snakes guppies. 1 to 3 day old fry should be proper size. Any tropical fish store should be able to set you up with a small group of some type of easy to care for live bearer.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the metabolism on these animals is very fast. You need to feed them frequently as babies to get any growth out of them. The first year that i bred them, I actually had 4 die of starvation on weekly feedings before someone clued me in to this. They really need at least bi and, if possible, tri weekly small meals.
Yes, I have used the "rosies" that WalMart sells in the past. They are of adequate size and very inexpensive.

Regards

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!