Hova Bators? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-25-2005, 08:51 PM   #31
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg M
That is a wine refridgerator that I bought for 60 bucks..... The heating elements I use for my "home made" incubators are the ones they use in hovabators..... The heating element in hovas are great but the temp control system and the foam box stink......

Wendy you are correct about them having to be in a room that has a constant temp..... That is the thing I dont like about hovas..... Especially being that my house does not stay constant and my reptile room is too hot to incubate eggs in...... With the wine fridge, the outside temps do not affect the temps inside the incubator.....
Great idea, I know a salvage guy here with a lot of non working microwaves and those apartment sized refidgerators, I could take out the heating element from one of my hovabators and do soemthing like that!

I know I need more room very soon with both hovabators full and the "fish box" will be full with the next egg cycle from my girls.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:31 AM   #32
Devious_bunny
Ok, so my plan is really starting to take shape

I think i'm going to go with the hova, and have my dad "spiffy up" the temp control system, we apparently have thermostats hanging out in the garage. (ahh the benifites of living with an electronics engineer )

I found the perfect place to store the incubator. I have a window seat in my bedroom with storage space underneath, and a little door in the front, it it always the same temp in there, but i'm going to clear it out and add some more insulation!

I'm going to start seriously looking (and saving for shipping ) for a male starting april 1st, which also happens to be pay day!

And i have thought up another couple questions...

1) Suppliments, right now i have terrafauna Reptocal, it claims to have calcium, phosphorus, vit a, d, b, e. is that good enough? would anyone recomend anything different? right now i suppliment every other(ish) feeding, and always have it available. should i bump my female up to every feeding?

2) Could someone point me to a very simple step by step guide for breeding, preferable one that has o good timescale so i can judge when things are supposed to happen? maybe even a book?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2005, 10:41 AM   #33
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious_bunny
1) Suppliments, right now i have terrafauna Reptocal, it claims to have calcium, phosphorus, vit a, d, b, e. is that good enough? would anyone recomend anything different? right now i suppliment every other(ish) feeding, and always have it available. should i bump my female up to every feeding?

2) Could someone point me to a very simple step by step guide for breeding, preferable one that has o good timescale so i can judge when things are supposed to happen? maybe even a book?

Thanks!
I use minerall "O" on every feeding and leave a small dish of calcium in the cage at all times.

Make sure to gutload your feeders too!

here is a great site with info on breeding and tons of other very helpful topics:
http://www.thegeckospot.com/leobreeding.html

Old 03-26-2005, 11:02 AM   #34
Devious_bunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles
Make sure to gutload your feeders too!
I always do

Thanks for the link !

Old 03-26-2005, 02:08 PM   #35
dragonflyreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devious_bunny
I always do

Thanks for the link !
No problem, that is a great site, I have a few books too but its faster for me to go to thegeckospot and click what I am looking for and have nice pics and info!

Old 03-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #36
Herpcam
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles
I use minerall "O" on every feeding and leave a small dish of calcium in the cage at all times.

You should not be using Miner-all O for your geckos unless you have them outside basking in the sun a good part of the day. 'O' contains little or no D3, which 'O'utdoor animals synthesize from the sun. Miner-all 'I' contains D3, for 'I'ndoor animals that don't get outside to bask and make their own. Most people don't have their nocturnal leopard geckos out basking, so I'm pretty sure they should be on I.

It is already high in calcium, so I just keep the mealworm dish in at all times with some Miner-all in it, then there's no need for another calcium dish. Of course this isn't possible if they're eating crickets.

The best book on leopard geckos is the Leopard Gecko Manual from Philippe de Vosjoli, et al. There really is no secret formula to breeding, it just takes mature (45-50g+) females that are ideally a year old, and year-ish old males that are healthy. They don't need any special cooling period like many reptiles do. They'll naturally breed between Jan/Feb and Sep/Oct. Once the females start laying, they'll continue to lay every 2-4 weeks until they're done. This is why its so important to not breed younger, skinnier geckos. Egg laying takes a lot out of them and some will lose weight during the season.

We can't stress the importance of quarantine enough. If you get a pair of adult leos who are old enough and big enough to breed, don't keep them together for ideally 90 days and monitor them to ensure they're not sick or parasitized. It's best to get at least one fecal during this time, two would be better. Then, if all is healthy and you want to go through with it, they should be stabilized enough to breed as long as it's not Aug/Sep when they'd normally be stopping for the season. I bred my first pair in May and started getting babies in late July-Aug, I believe.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:38 PM   #37
Jadormdrache
Personally I dont use minerall O except for the calcium dish, but it seems her geckos are healthy enough to reproduce, so that means they re getting enough D3. leopard geckos are nocturnal like you said so their system would most likely be very efficient with D3 as they dont get much sunlight in nature.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #38
dragonflyreptiles
I feed mealies and crix, mealies in the cage at all tiems and crix 2 times a week. All of my feeders are dusted with Mineral O and the calcium dish is for the females, they lick it quite a bit so Id never take it out.

Ill look into the D3 more but from what I understand, and I could be wrong, the leos get plenty of D3 from the meailes and crix themselves and can overdose if you provide the D3 supplements on top of the food intake.

Just a few links that mention not using D3 at all or very little as to not induce an overdose:

http://www.reptilecare.com/leopardbreed.htm
http://www.repticzone.com/caresheets/534.html

Old 03-26-2005, 02:45 PM   #39
Jadormdrache
think ill be mixing the minerall O with my other stuff

Old 03-26-2005, 03:53 PM   #40
Herpcam
Wendy,

Please let me know what you find out. I've been raising leopard and fattails for 6 years now and have produced hundreds of babies without any 'overdose' of anything, all with Miner-all I. However, I see where it's mentioned several times that they don't necessarily need it, so I'll keep looking into it as well. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Has anyone ever owned, or seen a gecko that has overdosed on calcium or D3? If so, what were the symptoms, how was it diagnosed, was it fatal, and if not, how is the gecko now? This may be better to move to its own thread, since it has nothing to do with incubators.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!