I need help idnetifying this salamander - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Troyee219
I need help idnetifying this salamander

I saw this guy while i was walking in a small dried up water hole with a bowl full of water left in it, so i helped him and i now have him in a aquarium, i acclimated him for a hour while slowly adding more and more aquarium to his water in the bag, he is still in the aquatic stage of life, i live in richmond VA if that helps

Old 05-19-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
snowgyre
There is no photograph attached.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Troyee219
Yeah I know I was getting it just now my phone is being slow...
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
snowgyre
It's a northern two-lined salamander larvae. It will eventually metamorphose into an adult. While northern two-lined salamanders like to live in spring seeps and can survive fully emerged, I suggest either releasing or creating a transitional habitat for him/her to metamorphose.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #5
Troyee219
so would a floating platform or half submerged decoration work?

Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #6
Socratic Monologue
I'd recommend against releasing it if there is any risk that the salamander has come into direct or indirect contact with other captives. Pathogen transmission from captive to wild populations is something that everyone in the hobby needs to guard against, lest we harm wild populations and/or give fodder to those who would try to restrict herpetoculturists with new legislation.

And, if you're going to continue to collect wild specimens -- which I encourage you to do, if that is your interest -- please do become fluent in identifying native species. Some are protected, with good reason, and you wouldn't want to inadvertently collect a protected animal. You'll also want to know whether an animal can reasonably be kept in captivity, or whether it should be left to its own devices.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
Troyee219
I am a big fish keeper and know some stuff about sals, but i usually dont collect them, i would like to know how i could make my 10 gallon tank WITH fish work?, and if not i will try to get a bin of some type and try to make a semi aquatic habitat, but it would be hard... I dont believe i have a bin or container i can put him in for the transition, what is the minimum size container you would recommend?

Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM   #8
Socratic Monologue
Good care info here, for a start:

https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/E...rycea_sp.shtml

Old 05-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #9
snowgyre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I'd recommend against releasing it if there is any risk that the salamander has come into direct or indirect contact with other captives.
Good point. I assumed this was a fresh aquarium that was created specifically for this salamander. If this aquarium was already used for fish or other animals without bleach sterilization prior to reuse, then I too recommend against releasing the salamander.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
Troyee219
Yea i wasnt going to release him anyway, i was going to find a way some way or another to keep him comfortable and happy , i found a 20 gallon hexagon tank that is between 15-20 inches long as well as in width, i am going to take some of my river rocks and gravel and make a half water, half land place for him/her, should i put flat rocks in the water and some live plants? I dont know what they like best haha... And i have food i have live crickets and i will be getting earthworms tomorrow for him(i will cut them up of course ) the cricketsnare for when ues a big boy 👍

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!