First assist feed Ever!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
preacher
First assist feed Ever!!!

I am still a wreck; I was shaking like a kid in trouble! The Baby is doing fine he looks so good with a meal in him.

I hate to say it but I really do not want to do much of this. I will do whatever I need to do for these little ones but OH MY GOODNESS. I have never been so un-nerved in anything that I have done with my snakes before.

I hope, no PRAY, he goes over to self feeding quickly!

Here he is a beautiful pewter male (cinnamon x pastel). If I can get him to feed on his own he will be up for sale but he will stay here until then.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
ClarkT
Congrats! I haven't had to do that yet, but I fully expect to.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
Willow
I assist fed a baby for about 5-6 months before I let nature take its course (not everything in this world is meant to thrive)...its stressful....but your hands will stop shaking after awhile =)

Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
B&C Ball Pythons
I'm glad you were able to get a meal in him. We had to do it for our pied last year. I know the feeling. It's terrifying!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Pocopythons
It gets easier with time. I've had to do it several times and it's looking like I might have to again. Stubborn lil guys!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
preacher
It amazes me how nervous I became holding that little snake in my hand and then having to manipulate the rat pink into the mouth and then down into the back of the throat. I did not want to hurt him and the whole time I was doing this my mind just freaked. Now please keep in mind I am an avid hunter and owned a farm, raised pigs, beef cattle, chickens, the whole nine yards. I hope you know what that means we did not just look at those animals unless of course staring at your dinner plate qualifies. But forcing that rat pink into that little snakes mouth and throat just shook me. I think the next time will go much better; all the reading in the world does not prepare you for the real deal.

I am glad though that I am not the only one to have this reaction at first anyway. Thanks everyone.

A real question though Willow stated she assist fed for 5-6 months, thank you for that reality check. So then the question is, how long would you consider assist feeding before you say, “OK, this was not intended to be” and as stated let nature take its course?

Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Double B Reptiles
Gotta do what is necessary sometimes. Glad everything went over well on your first assist feeding. I have a male that is going to make me assist feed him, if he decides he doesn't want to straighten out that is. No need to be nervous though, it is difficult to injure a snake if you aren't trying. They are more likely to hurt themselves than you are to hurt them. Just gotta be gentle.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Earthworks
ya ,as some others have said its gets simple if you have a trouble feeder(s), becomes like 2nd nature and the speed and efficiency of it increase as well. obviously always best when they go on feed themselves, stupid question but you have tried/been trying live? as far as duration...i would assist as long as the snake was taking some kind of active response during the assist, meaning assist feeding not force feeding, sometimes, they just seem to need some extra energy/size before progressing.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Willow
with my snake it was a rough choice...as it was an enchi lesser female =( but after so many assist feedings she only gained 5 grams..and that was with consistent feedings every 5 days...and altho she would swallow fine on her own after holding her food in her mouth for awhile, she just NEVER started to feed on her own. I could not bring myself to assist feed her any more....as I would not have ever bred her, nor could I own a pet snake that required that type of care its entire life.

I have a feeling that type of situation isnt to common...but does happen...she hatched from a boob egg....and was 20-25 grams...tiny thing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!