Whats the longest period you've assist fed a baby? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
dzoo
Whats the longest period you've assist fed a baby?

What's the longest time period someone has assist fed a baby before it starts to eat on their own?

I've had this little girl that hatched 8/31 and have assist fed her 10 times now. She just won't eat on her own, have tried all the usual tricks.

I don't really mind doing it but I'm just picturing having to hand feed her her whole life!
[img]aolemb://2C3885E1-6011-4A2E-819D-EE1E2B8D0068/S5030250.JPG[/img]
[img]aolemb://1D0F7656-09DD-4990-9DC0-E126F41DAC6A/S5030246.JPG[/img]

Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
dzoo
Guess the pics didn't work - I'll try again:
[img]aolemb://7D096429-4217-4B4E-80A8-07D9C4A1B3DB/S5030248.JPG[/img]

Old 01-01-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
dzoo
one more time
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
Fedawg
Well if shes eating you are keeping her in good health. She will probably pick up , just keep working with her

Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 AM   #5
LadyOhh
I've only had to worry about them for a couple of weeks before they pick up...

It is probably a husbandry issue, as it has always been something environmental that causes the snakes to not eat. Also may be what you are offering? Maybe you need to offer mice instead of rats (or the other way around)?

I have just put a cover over the rack that they are eating in, leave them dark and happy and comfortable, and this has worked well for me. (Very recently, in fact)

OT: WOW!! You took pics in 2012??

Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 AM   #6
garweft
Those pictures confuse me. Where is that snake at? In a cage? On a floor?

Old 01-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
dzoo
I don't think it is a husbandry issue as she and her siblings are set up identically in individual boxes in the same rack and they eat fine on their own. I've tried different foods, mice, rats, gerbils pups.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Cat_72
I have a little CH female that I assist fed for at least 3 months.......until out of the blue one day she just up and started eating, and has done so every time offered since. I offered the food item each time before assist feeding, and she never showed the slightest bit of interest, until the day she started eating, and then she grabbed it almost without hesitation. I have no idea why she didn't eat, she was perfectly healthy otherwise. She is still small for her age, but is finally growing nicely.

I guess as long as yours is healthy otherwise, is digesting properly, and all of the husbandry is correct. she's bound to come around sooner or later. They're just weird critters sometimes.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
shrap
Jon,

How often are you trying to feed? I personally only offer problem hatchlings food once a week and once a week only. Try to give them as much peace and quiet as possible. Trying to feed them multiple times a week is just going to stress them more.

Also, does the snake have any kind of hide? Some neonates just are not happy without one even if they are in a rack. Even if it is just a few crumpled up pieces of newspaper for them to feel more secure. If there is no hide/newspaper try leaving it alone for a week with the hide/newspaper and then toss a live rat pink or fuzzy in over night. I offer all of my neonates hides and I rarely have one go past two weeks without eating.

But occasionally I do get the really stubborn one that will go longer than 4 weeks. When I get one of these I will leave it completely alone for a week, maybe two, with a hide. Then I will put some damp paper towel in a deli cup, put the snake in with a rat fuzzy over night with the lid on. Then just put the deli cup back in the snakes normal tub. I personally have only had one snake that did not eat beyond this point and needed assist feeding.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
ms_terese
I had to assist feed a CBB ball for 6 months before she ate on her own. No idea why. I never sold her because of that, and now she's a perfectly feeding 18 month old.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!