Sunglow eye candy (ID help needed) - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
phoenix-cry
So many lines!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Try palpating it instead. Placing thumb at the vent apply some pressure (not quite as much as if you were popping) and slide your thumb down toward the tip of the tail. On male Boas you will feel the hemipenes slide out from under your thumb like two little BB's under the skin, a little "pop pop". You'll usually feel them about 10-12 scales down from the cloaca. Do it several times if you don't feel them the first time, and to get a feel for them even if you do feel them the first time. With females, you will not feel them at all.

best way to sex a young boa. People describe it as feeling the BB's, to me, it feels like a rubber band snapping back into place. It's quite easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Gif courtesy of Dave Collig (rainbows r us) he uses the finger instead of the thumb on top, both work

offhand looking at tail length and spurs, I'm guessing it is a male.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
phoenix-cry
Awesome gif!!! Thanks! I do hope it is a male, I like the sleeker look.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #14
KORBIN5895
Do males tend to have longer tails?

Old 08-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
phoenix-cry
I don't know how it works in boa, but in ball pythons it is not a good test. I have males with short tails, males with long, females with short and females with long. The spurs on ball pythons are not a good indicator either.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
AbsoluteApril
generally, but it's not a tell-tale sign, same with spurs.

This was one of mine I wasn't sure on (photo also by Dave Collig, i took over to him for opinion, he lives near me) and based on spurs and bulge, thought was male. Nope, it was a lady (she was too big for palpatation to work)

Old 08-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
phoenix-cry
That's an impressive spur for a lady!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Do males tend to have longer tails?
In most boas generally, yes. In KSBs, that is the best way to sex them, as males tails are long while the females is short. Of course, you will get an odd boa or two that doesn't conform to the norm.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post

best way to sex a young boa. People describe it as feeling the BB's, to me, it feels like a rubber band snapping back into place. It's quite easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Gif courtesy of Dave Collig (rainbows r us) he uses the finger instead of the thumb on top, both work

offhand looking at tail length and spurs, I'm guessing it is a male.
I call it the speed bump test.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
crotalusadamanteus
KSB's???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
boa, sunglow