Reptariums and Albino Boas? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-15-2004, 01:09 AM   #1
Scarlett_Fawn
Question Reptariums and Albino Boas?

What does everyone here think about keeping an adult boa constrictor constrictor or imperator in a 260 gal reptarium? What is a good commercial cage for one in your opinion?

Another question... is the sunglow morph imperator or constrictor or what? Is that true of all boa albinos?

Old 09-15-2004, 04:16 AM   #2
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
What does everyone here think about keeping an adult boa constrictor constrictor or imperator in a 260 gal reptarium?
Reptariums were not meant for boa constrictors.

Quote:
What is a good commercial cage for one in your opinion?
Animal Plastics.

Quote:
is the sunglow morph imperator or constrictor or what?
BCI.

Quote:
Is that true of all boa albinos?
Yes.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
Jillian Tillman
A lot of people build their own cages for their larger snakes. Some build so they can have the exact feature they want or need, some trying to save cost. I'm in the process of building a cage right now, and I will tell you, you probably won't save in the cost department! My cage will be 6'x2'x2', or 180 gallons and should be sufficient for my colombian red tail (BCI).
I know a lot of people like cagesbydesign.com, as well as neodesha cages, but anything large is always expensive. All glass "aquiariums" even with proper lids to keep a snake in aren't recommended, as snakes require adequate cross ventilation.
Good luck in your search!

Old 09-23-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Scarlett_Fawn
Question

I have asked a couple other people the reptarium question, and they also disapprove of using reptariums for boa constrictors. I would like to know why though.

On the subject of custom built cages, I have read about tweaking shower stalls to turn them into cages... What do you guys think of that?

Old 09-23-2004, 01:47 PM   #5
Jillian Tillman
I can't say I have ever heard of that, but I suppose it could work? You just want something that leaves no way for the snake to escape. The key is for ground boas, it needs to be longer, not taller. For an arboreal boa something tall like a shower stall could work. You're probably better off buying a cage or making one of your own, that way it has everything you want it to have. Whatever you decide, there really isn't any cheap way to go about it. I decided to build my own 6'x2'x2' cage, and hoped to save money versus a neodesh or vision cage, etc. It wound up costing the same if not more, but this way it embodies everything I want in a cage, and looks like a piece of nice furniture, considering it will take up significant room in my house!
Jill

Old 09-23-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Ken Harbart
Well, to begin with, an all screen enclosure is substandard for housing any snake. Unless you maintain the entire room at the proper temperature and humidity, your snake is going to be the one paying the ultimate price for the enclosure.

Secondly, an adult boa constrictor is a rather powerful animal. A weak little zipper just ain't gonna cut the mustard.

The shower stall might work for an arboreal snake, but an adult boa constrictor is going to need more terrestrial area.

Old 09-23-2004, 07:48 PM   #7
JBirgel
Thumbs down I tried it

I tried housing a 4ft boa constrictor in a large reptarium and this is how it held up.

In the first hour the boa wrapped himself arounfd the plastic poles then while trying to secure himself a little better he snapped one of the plastic poles. As you can see the reptarium was not ment for boas and I would say that for snakes the reptarium gets a big thumbs down.
JKB
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2004, 09:43 PM   #8
Mickey_TLK
As mentioned a reptarium will not hold up, and is not designed to meet the requirements of a boa (or a chameleon if you ask me, but thats a whole other subject...LOL)

In my opinion the best boa cage on the market are boaphile cages. They are rather inexpensive, and hold up greatly, and greatly meet the needs of boas.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:26 AM   #9
JBirgel
Barrs, boaphile, vision cages

Barrs cages I have some 2ft ers for the past few years and now I plan on getting several 4ft ones. Doug will build any size you need but his standard sizes are great and they cost less then boaphile cages, boaphile cages are nice but I have heard some negative things and saw some negative things about thier racks. Sometimes the material they are built from cracks at the seems if dropped also urates really love to stick to the poress material but they are inexpensive. Vision cages, I have been using visions for several years and they are not perfect but they do a good job they have made several improvements over the years and I would recomned them to anyone. You can drop them a lot and never worry but I would watch how much weight you put in the larger ones I have the 6ft x 36inch depth ones and they need a rack built for them because they sagged to much. I here vision fixed this but I am not sure if this is true.
JKB

Old 10-10-2004, 12:25 AM   #10
StickyTongues
Can you send me some info on the Barrs cages?

Sam Leam

stickytonguereptiles@yahoo.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!