A messy situation.... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-14-2006, 07:40 AM   #11
Mike Greathouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Mike & Ericfire..........What do ya'll use for hides for yer big snakes? If she aint gonna use her towel anymore, I should come up with something to comfort her. The garland idea may work. Has before anyway. But if not............

Thanks again,
Rick
For the big boas I use large round plastic planters. I cut an entrance hole and set them in upside down. In my experience, the large boas don't use them all of the time, but they will use them. It would seem that there are just times when they want some privacy. I notice this especially with the females.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #12
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
For the big boas I use large round plastic planters. I cut an entrance hole and set them in upside down. In my experience, the large boas don't use them all of the time, but they will use them. It would seem that there are just times when they want some privacy. I notice this especially with the females.
Something like this?..........

I do that for most of mine actually. Didn't think they made one big enough for an 8 footer though. LOL I'll look around today and see what I can find.

Thanks
Rick

Old 10-14-2006, 07:56 AM   #13
Mike Greathouse
The one's that I use are taller and roughly 18" in diameter. When flipped upside down, they taper towards the top. They easily accommodate my big girls.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #14
TripleMoonsExotic
Completely off topic, but Aurora is looking SO lovely!

That wouldn't happen to be one of Gracie's siblings pictured in the last image, would it?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:17 AM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
Completely off topic, but Aurora is looking SO lovely!

That wouldn't happen to be one of Gracie's siblings pictured in the last image, would it?
Thanks! Aurora is A LOT better now. She fattened back up nicely too, but still not where I was hoping she'd be for breeding. May just wait till next year.
Yes, that is Corey, her 'most likely' Coral brother. Tom & Kelly Sargent are his new parents. Gracie is gonna be 6 months on Monday. I got a fat hopper for her brother and sister planned.

Mike, thanks, I'll look into that today. The picture shown is actually the base of one that i'm using for a plant.

TTYL
Rick

Old 10-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #16
6y0ballpython
She Needs A Hide You Silly Goose!!!!

What a beautiful girl!!! Congrats!!
Heres the answer to your problem!
The reason she is doing this isn't because she's being a brat, it's because she's looking for a decent place to hide. All snakes need at least one hide (two or three is better if you have the room) in their cages. Without the hide, you should know this, a snake does not feel secure and safe. She will become more and more stressed and possibly stop eating and have poor sheds if you do not provide her with a proper hide. You can use newspaper for a hide, just tape down the bottom stuff, and provide her with some stiffer/layers of newspaper with a part of it sticking up and make it big and thick enough so she can just crawl underneath it without having to twist it all up trying to cover herself. I can guarantee you that this is why she is doing this. She feels vulnerable and her instict to hide is kicking in. Help her out and give her some privacy!!!!! LOL

Old 10-14-2006, 07:12 PM   #17
crotalusadamanteus
She had hides in her last viv, and she chose to use the towel. So I did offer her a hide. In fact, the same one she was used to using. I have raised this girl for 7 years, she has been in several new enclosures, but this is the first she has acted like this. I have even made nice wooden hides she has refused to use. LOL

Like I said, I'll be looking into what Mike mentioned above. We'll see if she'll go for it. I have order some new pleated sheet cardboard substrate as well. If she wants the news paper, I'll let her use that, and put the cardboard underneath.

Rick

Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #18
ericfire
i use large kitten litter box turned upside down andcut a hole in the side big enough for her to get through
and dress up with moss using a glue gun
she likes it
or at least uses it

Old 10-14-2006, 10:06 PM   #19
crotalusadamanteus
Hell, I have a couple of those already. Thanks!

Rick

Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #20
crotalusadamanteus
Just an update.

I tried many things, putting the upside down litter box for a hide, which she didn't use at all. I tried some garland all balled up into a sort of bush, she just flattened it and continued messing things up, put her towel back in, covered the viv, etc, etc.

I did notice something new to add though. She seems intent on rubbing her nose off on the divider. (she rubbed it good too).

Anyway, last week, I had to clean up, so I removed the divider, and all her restless activity ceased. Seems she wanted to be with the girl next door. They have been happily dogpiling each other ever since.

For those who say snakes are not social........You need to explain that to Aurora and MJ. Though I don't house snakes together usually, this seems to be what she wanted, cuz her rubbing stopped, she's calmed down, and seems happy.

Now lets see how long I have to look at that rub on her nose. Sure shows up on an albino.

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!