Baby Dragons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-07-2004, 10:25 PM   #1
Reptilian54
Baby Dragons

What are some things to look for in a baby bearded dragon? I am going to the petstore tommorow to get one and am not sure what type I want and the difference in quality. What should I look for in a baby bearded dragons health that I can notice by seeing it.. I really need info on what a HEALTHY baby bearded dragon looks like and what colors are the best. Darker or lighter? Thanks

Old 02-07-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
W.Wedeking
You want to look for one that is bright and alert. It will be sitting up, looking around with it's eyes nice and open. It will react to you, watch you and follow your movement.

Stay away from any that seem sluggish, just lay there, or are thin.

You also want to make sure that the place you get them from is keeping them properly and feeding them properly. The reason for this being that incorrect husbandry can cause problems down the road.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
markwebb
Baby Beardies

There are VERY FEW pet stores I have seen across these USA States that I would buy any reptile from. You are better off going to a good monthly reptile show in your area and buying directly from a breeder with a large stock and well-kept animals.

Wherever you purchase - look for this:

1) Are the beardies kept at correct temps? They need hot spot of 100-105 and cool in mid 70's. If they are just in a 10 gallon aquarium with light on top in middle chances are they are not being kept correctly.
2) Are crikets always running around their enclosure? Crikets bite and can carry disease, and should never be left in cages. A sign of poor husbandry.
3) Is cage floor clean? We clean our beardies poop every day.
Beadies should be fat. really fat.
4) Beardies should be large. If they are tiny they are too young for sale. They have a high mortality rate. Personally I would never buy a retail beardie that was less than 4 months old.
5) Beardies don't usually drink - if there's a bowl in there with water ask the store what the water is for.
6) Too many beardies kept together in substandard environment means some may become agressive and bite/eat others. Make sure they have complete tails, toes, limbs, eyes and nonbe of them have obvious wounds.

Again - if it were me I would go to a reptile show and talk to a breeder and buy a quality beardie.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #4
Reptilian54
lol yes I would much rather find a reptile show around here than a petstore, but there are none. I have not found 1 Reptile Show In CONNECTICUT EVER. LoL I can't seem to find any except for one show that has all sorts of things, dogs, cats. Thanks for the info though!

Old 02-08-2004, 07:36 PM   #5
W.Wedeking
Quote:
Crikets bite and can carry disease

That is interesting. I knew crickets carried parasites, (coccidia, pinworms etc.) but I never knew they carried diseases. What diseases do they carry that could be transmitted to dragons?

Old 02-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #6
dandddragons
not to bash pet stores but your best bet to buy a dragon is go to a good breeder. pet stores often don't have a clue about the care needed to properly care for a dragon, even when they think they do. lots of good breeders out there and you'll be happier with a dragon raised by a caring breeder.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!