Info Ashley Caspillo-SakaraGT4/Sakara *Possible Buyer Beware!* - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #121
reticguy76
just about everything (if not everything) about ibd is theory and research in progress. it is theory that it comes from snake mites (which is a particular species of mites, there are many species of mites), it is theory that it is contagious (evidence points to it, but still theory), it is theory that pythons die quicker once "infected". all these and so much more on ibd is theory. every legitimate laboratory results ive seen (and ive been in veteriary medicine for goin on 14 years now), that has had ibd testing performed, come back as probable suspect of inclusion body disease. because inclusion body cells are cells that are different from natural occuring cells in the body (organs, blood, skin, etc) i have never seen one legitimate lab results paper say, this animal is 100% ibd positive. not enough is known on it to definitively diagnose that yet

Old 12-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #122
crotalusadamanteus
If it's not proved contagious then how is it that animals were purposely infected for research purposes?

Curious.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #123
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
just about everything (if not everything) about ibd is theory and research in progress. it is theory that it comes from snake mites (which is a particular species of mites, there are many species of mites), it is theory that it is contagious (evidence points to it, but still theory), it is theory that pythons die quicker once "infected". all these and so much more on ibd is theory. every legitimate laboratory results ive seen (and ive been in veteriary medicine for goin on 14 years now), that has had ibd testing performed, come back as probable suspect of inclusion body disease. because inclusion body cells are cells that are different from natural occuring cells in the body (organs, blood, skin, etc) i have never seen one legitimate lab results paper say, this animal is 100% ibd positive. not enough is known on it to definitively diagnose that yet
You've been in veterinary medicin for nearly 14 yrs...what is your position? Are you a veterinarian? a veterinarian assistant? an animal care tech?

True, the presence of inclusion bodies does not mean an automatic diagnosis of IBD...and, as far as never seeing a 100% certain statement that it is IBD, I consider your statement to be somewhat misleading. How often do you find definitive statements like that regarding anything on those papers? The closest thing to that is usually "consistent with........"

Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #124
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
medicin
darned silent e went invisible on me....make that "medicine"

Old 12-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #125
amercnwmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
Sorry I read that and at first it seemed like you were questioning IBD as a disease, but I believe what you were trying to say is "there are a lot of unknowns"..Unless I am misreading?

IBD IS a proven disease, a worldwide one, at that.

It IS contagious, certainly by direct contact, also passing from mother to baby has shown to pass the disease.

Mites are a common denominator, and it makes sense that a parasite that feeds on blood could transmit the disease.

Airborne has been mentioned as a substantiated theory in the case of BW Smith http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ad.php?t=72726 who practices STRINGENT quarantine.

In any case, all medical diagnoses and science starts with a theory.

It's through testing, and monitoring that hard proof is established.

There actually IS a positive diagnosis for IBD, based on microscopic exams of the inclusions searching for a UNIQUE protein that has been associated with the disease. Basically, if the inclusion bodies and the protein are found, the snake HAS IBD.

There'd be a lot more medical documentation and known factors to this disease of more people would bother to have their dead animals examined & tested.

Because of the presence of the inclusion bodies and the unique protein present, an IBD POSITIVE TEST DOES INDICATE IBD presence, the doubt is eliminated at that point.

The only time doubt is left in question, is if the tests come back negative,
and:

A)previously has been IBD in the collection
B)lax quarantine was present
C)other snakes have died or been ill in the collection
D)the snake is new and/or came from questionable background
E) all of the above and any other weird things I missed (sorry NyQuill kicked in... :scatter: )

I hope that cleared that up some..Clear as mud?? Good, now we're all on the same page.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #126
amercnwmn
Yep, caught it...

F)presence of mites.. :P

Old 12-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #127
amercnwmn
Sorry to get back on topic, since Ashley is no longer really posting, I thought I would share she does have intentions to have the snakes tested in January by Dr. Jacobson. http://www.redtailboa.net/forums/hea...tml#post866610

What I'm curious about:

What about the snakes that are still for sale? Are the ads going to stay up for 6mos or longer untill all the adequate testing is done to rule out the presence of IBD?

What about the snakes that have already been sold?

This has a devastating potential, and that's why it was brought here. I am good friends with Adrya, and have been for years. After watching her ordeal, and reading about BW's ordeal, it sickens me to imagine there are people out there that knowingly sell snakes that they have reasonable cause to assume are sick.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #128
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnwmn View Post
What I'm curious about:

What about the snakes that are still for sale? Are the ads going to stay up for 6mos or longer untill all the adequate testing is done to rule out the presence of IBD?

What about the snakes that have already been sold?
Could the same not be asked of you? Wasn't it mentioned that some of your animals were there for breeding purposes?

Are you going to have your animals tested?

Are any of yours listed for sale?

Have you sold any animals since finding this information out?

If so, have you notified them of these findings?

Just being fare.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 PM   #129
amercnwmn
??? I think you are thinking of Yvonne? "boachick17"
I don't have any of Ashley's snakes and I've never had any with hers.

My interest in this is trying to give the head's up that I only wish someone had given me. It's not personal against Ashley, however I will admit frustration and anger that she received a report that suggested the presence of IBD and still sold snakes.

About me:
Mostly, I've been keeping venomous, a few "educational program-kid friendly" non-venomous, and I have several lizards and a frog..

I DID have an outbreak that started about 2? years ago?

I'd bought 2 questionable snakes from an unknown seller at the show. All my others came from reputable sellers.

Like a moron I QT'd them all together. I'll NEVER do that again.

I had feeding issues and noticeable RI signs from 2 snakes:
a Canebrake & a Speckled Rattlesnake. The Cane died within a short period after acquisition, I'll have to look.
The Speck died about a month? later. (again, I've moved, I'll have to look)

I separated everyone out into different rooms, cleaned cages out completely, soaked snakes in Betadine mix..anything I could think of, while I waited for necropsy results.

I had to wait a little while as I ran into the issue of having snakes die on weekends when the vet was CLOSED, and the lab was a separate testing place they shipped the snakes to.

I wound up losing several of them before I ever got a handle on the problem. During that time I was freaking out thinking "OPMV!!!"
Aside from the 2 that never ate, and later showed RI signs (Cane & Speck) the other deaths were sudden, with no signs of illness. Eating, shedding, defecating normally. I was baffled.

I was finally able to get 2 snakes in for testing.. My A. chlorechis juvenile and my N. kaouthia (male juvenile) both had postmortem tests performed indicating high levels of Salmonella poisoning..NEW ONE ON ME.

A friend of mine on one of the other forums suggested feeder rodents. I resterilized cages with straight bleach, let it DRY on there, then hosed it off with a water hose and dry in the sun.

Both of the snakes sent off had been fed just prior to death, (one literally several hours) and looking back on records, the ONLY 2 that died of anything OTHER than sudden deaths within days of feeding were the 2 questionable snakes that never ate and showed RI signs...

I tossed all the feeders I had, and I've yet to have any more deaths similar.
A word about the feeders, they were all purchased at a nearby show within 3.5hrs driving distance. Maybe they weren't kept cold enough and re-froze? I dunno?

I have had 2 more deaths since then: a WC A. squamigera that ingested ReptiBark substrate (kick self) and a WC A. squamigera that I was treating for parasites that didn't pull through. Both of these were kept separate from the others in my collection.

I have, in the past year, sold several of my remaining collection due to some physical disabilities (crappy knee replacement) and I could no longer safely deal with my Naja and Bitis. I also sold a couple of other snakes.

Last I heard, from the 3 separate buyers I sold my snakes to, all snakes are still doing well and are just as hateful as they were when they were here.

Thankfully my tests indicated salmonella poisoning (assuming from contaminated rodents) and another bacteria that I will have to find.

I'm not a breeder, I'm a private keeper who enjoys just keeping. I've entertained the idea of eventually breeding my A. squamigera, and probably will after I have a stable selection to breed.

Anyways at the time of the outbreak, I locked down the collection. I was fortunate in a separate building and treated the poor things like they had the plague. I finally got necropsies & path tests done that cleared the collection of OPMV, and I've had no more "suspicious" deaths in over a year. I did sell some of my snakes, but as I said, collection was clear for 1year, and had clear tests.

I did lose a couple of WC A. squamigera (kept separate from others in the collection) one to substrate ingestion and one not long after purchase to a parasitic problem. Such is the risk with fresh imports.

Animals I was receiving were kept separate from my current collection, and I have records of feedings, defecations and sheds.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #130
amercnwmn
Sorry I repeated myself..Darn lack of "EDIT" button.. :P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
ibd