good beginner snake besides... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #1
bball4life
good beginner snake besides...

What are some good beginner snakes, besides ball pythons and corn snakes? Any kind of answers will help.
Thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
ms_terese
I've said it before and I'll say it again... I think Children's pythons, Spotted pythons, and Cape York Spotted pythons are great beginner snakes. They aren't too large, are typically docile, and very hardy. Get a good quality feeding baby, and you'll be good to go.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
hhmoore
There are all kinds of good "beginner" snakes...depending on what you like, what you have room for, and what you can afford (this includes feeding and housing, too). If you don't want to deal with the temperature requirements of tropical species, or you like a more active snake - stick with colubrids (rats, kings/milks, bulls/pines, etc). If you don't mind having to provide higher temps & humidity there are a wide selection of boas and pythons that are suitable for someone just entering the hobby. Just take your time and don't jump too far, too fast...its addicting.

I know I really didn't offer much in the way of an answer, and that was (at least somewhat) intentional. Often times, the terms "beginner" and "starter" snake are used when what the person really means is "something to practice on til I can get/figure out what I want. I generally disagree with type of logic. Snakes live a long time, and shouldn't be considered disposable pets (not saying that YOU were thinking along those lines). There is also enough information available now that many of the "hard to keep" snakes can be kept by just about anybody that is willing to do the research and put a bit of effort into things. If you would like to tell us what you are looking for in a snake, I'm sure more suggestions and discussion will be forthcoming.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
bball4life
What do you consider "arent too large"? Im not looking for any giants just yet

Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
bball4life
I am looking for a snake that doesnt get too big, maybe the size of a cornsnake, or maybe a little bigger. I really do not ming the higher temps. Something that wouldnt have to eat live rats, but could maybe stick to pinkies for awhile. That probably narrowed the search down alot with the pinkies.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
hhmoore
If you want to start with pnkies, and stick with them for awhile, you are limiting things considerably, lol. Childrens, spotted and CY spotted, and Savu pythons certainly fit those limitations, but they will be smaller than your average cornsnake (and don't stay on pinks all that long, unless you choose to feed multiple pinks vs moving up in prey size). Given the size range you want to stay within, I would suggest looking into the above named pythons...as well as a variety of rats, milks, and kings. If you want a little bigger tnan a corn, you could consider bulls/pines/gophers. There are also some dwarf boa species that are growing in popularity that should stay in the described size range. Caulker Cay boas, for example.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
cornsnakekid92
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
If you want to start with pnkies, and stick with them for awhile, you are limiting things considerably, lol. Childrens, spotted and CY spotted, and Savu pythons certainly fit those limitations, but they will be smaller than your average cornsnake (and don't stay on pinks all that long, unless you choose to feed multiple pinks vs moving up in prey size). Given the size range you want to stay within, I would suggest looking into the above named pythons...as well as a variety of rats, milks, and kings. If you want a little bigger tnan a corn, you could consider bulls/pines/gophers. There are also some dwarf boa species that are growing in popularity that should stay in the described size range. Caulker Cay boas, for example.

I thought they got bigger thne a corn, and i have herd that they were nasty?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
Mooing Tricycle
I would say go for a sand boa. they dont get very big, and you can be sure that youll be feeding pinkies or fuzzys to it for the rest of its life. Theyre good snakes and awsomely colored, you just have to find the right breeder. ^_^

also, why not a ball python? theyre really wonderful animals and just because theyre the "norm" for a beginner, dosnt mean at all that theyre JUST for beginners. they have their moments during the winter, with not feeding ans whatnot, but overall theyre deff. a snake i would recommend over any other!

the thing about feeding live is, you dont have to. frozen dead prey is available that you would thaw out in hot water ( never a microwave >_<) so you wouldnt have to worry about that bit. But dont buy from a pet store buy from here at fauna or over at kingsnakes. there are awsome breeders/people here who know alot and truly care for their animals!

Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnakekid92
I thought they got bigger thne a corn, and i have herd that they were nasty?
I'm guessing that this is in reference to Savus(?), since you highlighted them in the quote - actually, no, your average cornsnake will be over a foot longer than your average Savu python. Nasty?? Well, that is a pretty subjective word. Many types of snakes put on a show of aggression when they are babies - we're big, and they are scared of us. Personally, I'm not impressed by the show, and don't consider a snake nasty unless it really puts effort into biting me every chance it gets (or at least on a regular basis). Baby Savus are like baby carpets (and baby lots of other things, lol) - very attuned to movement, and as babies may strike frequently...but that doesn't mean they actually bite, lol. Baby carpets, they bite. Leave them alone for a little while, feed them, and they grow out of it in short order.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #10
The Reptile House
I agree with the sand boa, they are really nice looking color and all and that definatly fits your feeding area! Find a really good breeder though(for whatever you decide). Good luck! Shanell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!