Western Hognose Prolapse... Help please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
ddodge
Western Hognose Prolapse... Help please

I have a male Western Hognose with his butt hole sticking out, basically. I was feeding when I saw him cruising his tub and noticed a very small amount of blood and he had a red/pink bubble sticking out his vent. There is no vet open until monday and I could use some help until then. He is about 18" and girthy, eats an appropriate size mouse once a week, although until 2 weeks ago it was twice weekly to fatten up after brumation. He may also have been bred this season, but I didn't witness it to know for sure.

As far as housing goes, he is in an Animal Plastics 1754 rack with Helix set at 88 for a hot spot.

I've bathed him in sugar water for about a .5 hour, then gave him a bath in a novlasan mix to disinfect any possable wounds. Now I've put a paste of sugar/water on the area and left him in a 6qt tub with a small amount of water/ky for the night.

Is there anything I've done wrong/right? Is there anything besides the obvious vet visit that I should or could do for this little guy?

Thank you in advance for the advice. Dustin

Old 05-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Tiger Lilly
I have seen them look like that here in Florida, in the wild when they do the whole 'playing dead' game. We caught one that went through the motions of all that, then when it was done, everything went back where it was supposed to be.
Is it still like that?
I don't know much about them, but can you tell me the purpose of sugar water?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
ddodge
I have read in a few forums that sugar can help swelling decrese enough for the muscles to retract the tissue. One of my Hoggies has played dead before, but this is much worse than what I've seen. I have a vet visit for tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
JordanAng420
The idea behind the sugar/water soaks is that the mixture retains the fluid that causes the swelling in the prolapsed organ. When the osmotic pressure in the solution is lower than the pressure in the organ, it makes it easier for the organ to retract to where it's supposed to go. The idea is to make the solution pretty dense with sugar.

I have several clients who use Preparation-H in addition to the soaks and have had successful results.

The KY is a great idea, but I wouldn't leave him in the water overnight. Instead, you can use some damp paper towels as a temporary substrate.

There's always a reason behind a prolapse, and that's where your vet comes in...most likely, you don't have a fresh stool sample now considering the circumstances, but when he produces one, I would have it analyzed, as parasites are one of many reasons behind prolapse. Good luck, Dustin.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Tiger Lilly
Dustin--time for an update on the vet visit. How did it go; all better yet?

Maia--you lost me at "osmotic." I picked back up on it after that, though, and learned that parasites can contribute to prolapse. Can you break down "osmotic pressure?"

Old 05-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
Uroboros
Osmotic pressure is where one substance has the ability to hold more or less water than another. Kind of like taking two paper towels, one wet and one dry, you can put the dry one on top of the wet one and it will still get wet. Kind of like why you salt a steak before you cook it.

A super simple explanation.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Tiger Lilly
Thanks, Erik, for breaking it down for me. Simple is good...

Old 05-16-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
ddodge
Sadly it was bad enough by that time that euthenasia was our only option.. I am having fecals of the others checked to rule out parasites to hopefully prevent this from ever happening again. Thanks for your advice, Dustin.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Tiger Lilly
Dustin, sorry he didn't make it.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Uroboros
Sorry, that really sucks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!