Ghost pairing questions for Rich - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Sybella
Question Ghost pairing questions for Rich

I bought a trio of '02 Ghosts from Home Grown Herps two years ago. Two of them were from your Silver Queen line, Rich. (J. K. had purchased the parents of my snakes from you.) I let my trio breed for the first time this year and one of the two clutches hatched 5 days ago. This girl had 15 eggs, one was a slug and two of the eggs didn't make it to term. I ended up with 12 beauties; 5 are regular ghosts, 3 are silvers, and here's what surprised me...4 are albino. I ended up with 4 pink and white, pink-eyed babies.

Now, I know you can, for example, breed blizzard to anery and get more blizzard and anery, that the "black" and "white" genes don't turn into normal hets. But, I didn't expect to see a surprise like this from a ghost/ghost pairing. I don't experiement because I don't want normal hets...I like sure things so I'm careful with what I put together. Call me naive but I bought a trio of ghosts expecting to get just more ghosts. Funny that! LOL! So, here are my questions...

What is in the make-up for ghosts that would throw pink-eyed albinos? As far as I know, none of my ghosts are het for anything, though if this proves otherwise, please set me straight. And, what might these babies be technically? (Just holler if you want a picture.) I don't want to label them incorrectly. Help please.

Thanks!!
Sybella

PS. I addressed this to Rich because my snakes are from his line and the Silver Queens are his cultivar but if anyone else can help, please feel free to jump in. Thanks bunches!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
Sounds like you have Coral Snows (Hypo Snows)! Your Ghosts would then be het Amel.

And Hi, Sybella...I haven't seen you in a LONG time.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #3
Sybella
Awwh! Stef! I didn't realize "triple moons" was you!! *hugs*

Yeah, it's been a couple years since I posted. I'm still around...haven't gone anywhere.

Thank you for your input on my breeding surprise. I see a lot of people have viewed the thread but no one else had any suggestions for me yet.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:18 AM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
I can guarantee you that's what you have.

Ghost h. Amel x Ghost h. Amel
=
Ghost 66% possible het Amel
&
Coral Snows

Coral Snows can be difficult to tell apart from standard Snows, but being that both parents express the Hypo gene, you're guaranteed to have Hypo (& Anery in this case of course) offspring.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
Sybella
Then wouldn't I have gotten an amel or three in the mix as well?

Old 07-08-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
Nope, all offspring would be Homo for Anery (& Hypo)

Anery + Amel = Snow

Old 07-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #7
Sybella
Ok...to add more confusion to the mix, I also bred a normal het amel to the the same male ghost used in this ghost/ghost pairing.

Most of the babies are normal but two look amel. Last year, I did the same thing but none were amel. She only had 5 or 6 and all were normal het ghost, possible het amel. This time, her clutch was double that. These surprise orangey-pink ones (They just hatched) are fantastic looking!

So, this means you have to be 110% correct, that my ghosts are indeed het amel, yes?

Old 07-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #8
TripleMoonsExotic
I was 100% correct when you descibed the Snow hatchlings from the Ghost x Ghost. But yes, you would produce a few Amels from a het to het crossing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!