Logging On to BOI - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
lanceheads
Logging On to BOI

Is it my computer, or what? When I am at work, I sometimes use the work computer to see what's going on at Fauna, either the BOI or the classifieds.

I have never had to log in to view either of these sites.
In the past 3 days, whether at work or at home, I have had to "login" to view ANYTHING. Never had to in the past. ALWAYS had to login in to respond or post on the BOI (which I did), but never had to "login" to view posts.
Is this a new requirement? I still see where guests are viewing the BOI and having to not login.

Thanks,
Randal Berry

Old 08-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Ed Clark
I believe that Rich changes the settings from time to time to keep us on our toes.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
rosebud945
I noticed that change recently too. Usually I only log in if I have something to say, but in the last few days, I have to log in to see BOI threads. I can read all of the other threads just find.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
hhmoore
Guests can currently only see the thread list on the BOI. (subject line, only)
In order to view (open) the threads, members must be logged in. Rich posted this in one of the ongoing threads...and my impression was that he plans to leave it this way until the BOI goes to Contributor Only status.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
lanceheads
Thanks Harald. Just wanted to be sure!

Randal Berry

Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
RJK890
Just Wondering???

Would that not be more of a legal liability?

I mean I have a thread on the BOI about me that is titled "Robert Kelly of Florida is a Scammer," or something like that.

It was started by a scammer that I played a part in outing. He got pissed at myself and Mike Curtain and posted similar threads about the both of us.

Inside the thread it is obvious that it is in fact a bogus thread, and several people that I have actually had transactions with came forward to post positive feedback about me. However, anyone not contributing to Fauna will only be able to see the title.

Having the "Robert Kelly of Florida is a Scammer," thread pop up when my name is googled, and then the inquiring person not be able to read the content of the thread, unless they contribute to the site, seems like it would be a legal liability???

I mean what if when SerpenCo, or Rich Z. was googled, a thread on my web site popped up claiming, "WARNING: RICH Z. is a PEDOPHILE!"
However, in order to read the content of that thread, where it was shown to be a false accusation from some internet freak with a grudge, you had to pony up $25.

I think that may be grounds for a Libel suite, No???

Old 08-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
rosebud945
That is a bit of a puzzle, but would scammers go to the trouble to pay the $25 bucks just to get back at someone? It might actually cut down on the frivolous threads and scammer or revenge threads.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
RJK890
It may cut down on false claims in the future, but what about the existing threads like mine???

I am not suing...(unless my lawyer thinks we'll win...lol,) just asking if that would be an issue for Rich.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
rosebud945
Well, just to keep the conversation going here, wouldn't your trash thread be so far down that someone would almost have to search? I don't think a user can even search without logging in.

But, your scenario could be a problem if a fairly fresh thread was started on someone.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #10
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK890 View Post
Would that not be more of a legal liability?

I mean I have a thread on the BOI about me that is titled "Robert Kelly of Florida is a Scammer," or something like that.

It was started by a scammer that I played a part in outing. He got pissed at myself and Mike Curtain and posted similar threads about the both of us.

Inside the thread it is obvious that it is in fact a bogus thread, and several people that I have actually had transactions with came forward to post positive feedback about me. However, anyone not contributing to Fauna will only be able to see the title.

Having the "Robert Kelly of Florida is a Scammer," thread pop up when my name is googled, and then the inquiring person not be able to read the content of the thread, unless they contribute to the site, seems like it would be a legal liability???

I mean what if when SerpenCo, or Rich Z. was googled, a thread on my web site popped up claiming, "WARNING: RICH Z. is a PEDOPHILE!"
However, in order to read the content of that thread, where it was shown to be a false accusation from some internet freak with a grudge, you had to pony up $25.

I think that may be grounds for a Libel suite, No???
Well, one could argue that about the whole Internet. Even when threads are deleted they are still cached and can be found. Sites that have bowed to lawsuit threats and removed posts the titles are still there and come up on multiple search engines. Usually, you will see a title and link and when you click on it it states "page not found". Most are cached somewhere and still can be read.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!