Roast in Hell, Microsoft... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
WebSlave
Roast in Hell, Microsoft...

Dang it all to hell. Friday morning I relented to allow my laptop that I use for my emails to to the updates from Microsoft that the little nag reminder has been insisting that I do. I never do them immediately, as I would prefer the bugs to get worked out of such updates by other unwitting beta testers for Microsoft before I implement them. So I ignore the nag-o-grams for about a week. But it had been about a week, so what the heck.

Wrong move. My system seemed to get slower and slower by the minute while using it. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my mail reader and it stopped picking up messages from the servers. Trying to read old emails was a joke. It's like my system had converted to a 300 baud modem.

Of course, there was no restore point (I know, I know....) to fall back to. Last system backup I took was back in January, but I do have my email files are backed up. But the problem with backups is that you never know if they are any good until you REALLY need them. And I've been bitten by corrupted backup files in the past.

BTW, my laptop is a Win 7 64 bit system, in case you are wondering.

Anyway, I found an option in the screen to uninstall programs that showed a list of all the system updates and lo and behold, it has an UNINSTALL option for them. Wonderful, I thought. So late last night I went and uninstalled every update that was done on the 16th and 17th. System seemed to reboot like normal after all that, but I found that I'm not connecting to the internet. Matter of fact, I'm not even reaching the router, as ALL network services aren't functioning. I tried both wireless and direct ethernet cable to the router, but nothing. Reloaded the ethernet driver, still nothing. Now I do recall that most of the updates had to do with some sort of .NET services, so I guess those UNINSTALLs corrupted something.

Apparently a restore point was created before those uninstalls I did, so, what the heck, I ran that. Figured I didn't have much to lose at this point.

Nope, still no network access. Everything in Device Manager looks OK, nothing flagged as a glaring error. The automated network check in Windows says I have an error, but yeah, thanks a lot, I KNOW that, just tell me how to FIX that error.

Great......... Anyone got any suggestions about where to look to find the CAUSE of this problem? I'm doing a backup of the system "as is" now in case I make things even worse. And no, I didn't do a backup before the update uninstalls.

Thanks a lot, Microsoft. You are probably the best marketing friend that Apple could ever wish for.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
Lucille
The updates were genuine Microsoft?
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=17388

Old 02-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
The updates were genuine Microsoft?
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=17388
I don't do ANYTHING that comes through emails claiming that I should run them or view them, whether it be executable, open a PDF, or view a .doc file. So unless the hackers have figured out how to hack through Microsoft's own update system on my PC, yes, these were Microsoft updates.

Apparently I am not the only one -> http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2012/02...ch-tuesday.htm

Old 02-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
WebSlave
Well, I was getting ready to try loading a backup file about a year old and decided to try some last ditch poking around before doing that.

Long story short is that several settings in the ethernet and wireless drivers had become disabled somehow. So I merely enabled them, and SHAZAM, it's now working. I know I didn't accidentally disable them, as I hadn't done anything in that "advanced" menu tab section for those drivers.

Well, hopefully I'm out of the woods on this. Good thing, as there is no telling what I would have lost going back to that old backup file. Or even if it would work, perhaps leaving me with a big expensive coaster for my drinks.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
FireStorm
I feel your pain...our computer thinks our copy of Windows 7 isn't genuine (we bought it from Microsoft). It apparently has to do with some update (designed to help Microsoft do a better job of detecting counterfeit software but it's overly sensitive), and if you reenter the product key, it's only a temporary fix (eventually it decides it's not genuine again). I am not a "computer person" really and have given up on fixing it...

Old 02-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
I feel your pain...our computer thinks our copy of Windows 7 isn't genuine (we bought it from Microsoft). It apparently has to do with some update (designed to help Microsoft do a better job of detecting counterfeit software but it's overly sensitive), and if you reenter the product key, it's only a temporary fix (eventually it decides it's not genuine again). I am not a "computer person" really and have given up on fixing it...
Not only that, but quite likely Microsoft will want your credit card number before even looking at your problem.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Gary O
I have had to reload all drivers before from stupid Windows updates. It is a pain in the but. If you ever need to get to your files even if windows will not boot. Try Puppy Linux. You burn the image to a CD and then boot from the CD. Then it will read the HDD and any other HDD connected. You can recover a lot with it.

I have seen this many times. Microsoft must get better when they release their updates. IT IS A HUGE PAIN.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!