red tail boas bottom jaw - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
madragon
red tail boas bottom jaw

i have a 4' red tail and his bottom jaw has been hanging over the edge of his mouth lately. i do not have a working camera so i cant show you. it looks like something happend to his jaw

Old 02-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
jenn
Sorry wrong log in

Old 02-05-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Joker
You need to get him to the Vet.
Joker

Old 02-05-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Munkyboy
Could be Stomatitis (mouth rot). You should consult vetiranary attention asap.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
Mike Greathouse
Of course a picture would help, but there is another possibility beyond what has been previously mentioned. Sometimes if a snake strikes at the side of it's enclosure, a portion of the lip can become caught on it's teeth. You can normally release the lip with the aid of a small probe to "unhook" the lip.

I'm not saying this is what you've got - just one more possibility.

Regardless, get some help and get it fixed.

Good luck.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
his bottom jaw has been hanging over the edge of his mouth lately
I have got to say your description has me flummoxed. How can the bottom jaw hang over the edge of the snake's mouth? Can you describe that any better than you did?

Do you mean that the teeth and gum are exposed and protruding out past the lip? Do you mean there is a gross deformity as if the bones are broke or out of place? Do you mean the bottom lip/jaw are not aligned with the upper lip/jaw? The jaws not being aligned properly or protruding oddly can be caused by lots of things such as an injury caused by a strike into the glass, normal eatting and the snake did not realign the jaws after eating, displacement of the joint/bones, mouth rot, foreign material built up or stuck in the mouth, abcesses, infections of the bone and on and on.

If it is mouth rot, you can usually tell by a quick examination of the inside of the mouth, especially the area around the gums. If this area is covered with a caseous white build up (sort of cheesy looking or like the center of a canker sore), and/or if it is extremely red or obviously sore on the gums, and/ or if the gums are bleeding, there is a good chance the snake has a mouth infection, often called mouth rot. If not mouth rot, or even if it is, you also will want to check the mouth for substrate that may be stuck in there - this can cause such an infection. This can also cause the mouth to look deformed. Remove any that you can, make sure not to push any into the throat.

If mouth rot, this often can be cured at home if not too far advanced. I have used this method successfully on the rare ocassions that my snakes have had mouth infections. I am not a vet, but it has worked for me. Take it or leave it, if this seems to be the problem:

Swabbing the infected areas gently with cotton swabs soaked in hydrogen-peroxide solution, that you get at a druggist usually, works well; or you can appply some with an eyedropper. Make sure if swabbing only to work from the forward area of the gun toward the rear and then remove the swab without getting it tangled in the teeth. There is also a temptation to swab away the caseous material of which to be careful. You need to be careful not to swab away lots of the cheesy looking stuff at least for a couple to a few days as doing so sometimes can do more harm than good, especially if the infection is deep into the gums and maybe even to the bone. Just gently swab or douse the caseous material with hydrogen peroxide solution for the first couple of days. If it looks as if it is healing then keep the treatment up until healed. If no healing is taking place or if it looks as if the snake is getting worse, then it needs to go to a vet pronto.

Note: If there are obvious areas where the infection has eaten away a section of the tooth line and teeth are missing, or it appears very deep, and or secerely impacted with the cheesy infectious material then go to a vet right away.

Hope this was helpful.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!