Question about using a dome light in the light well for Vision owners. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Salton Sea
Question about using a dome light in the light well for Vision owners.

I just bought several used Vision 422s for really cheap and have a question about using a dome light in the light well. What kind/wattage of light can you safely put in there? The reason I ask is because although the cages are in nearly perfect condition, I did notice that one of them has a small little hole that has been patched in the bottom of the cage right above where the light well from the cage below it would sit under. I can only assume that the the dome light got so hot that that it started to melt the floor of the cage above it.

Anyways, the cages came with dome lights and 75 watt soft light bulbs so I decided to put one of the lights in the well and see what happens. After just a little while the floor below and above the light well temped at over a 100 degrees. The snakes in the cage above loved it, they immediately piled on above the light, lol, but I started to get a little nervous so I shut the light off until I could determine what was the safest light to use in the well.

Also anyone use secondary 20" fixture fluorescents with the Visions from behind the back screen? It shouldn't be too complicated but I am trying to figure out the best way to attach one to the back screen. The middle screen well on top of the cage is too short to get a fixture lamp in there.

Any help or advice would REALLY be appreciated. These cages look pretty cool and my snakes are happy they have so much elbow room but as of right now they are sitting in the dark until I figure out something.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
pardalis
i have used 75 watt basking bulbs but prefer to use 60 watt basking bulbs. you can get the at commy mart or home depot, they are designed for plants. the 60 watts dont get as hot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!