Please let me know if this is illegal on site- OT - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
Beardiepal
Please let me know if this is illegal on site- OT

Some of you know me and know I have had a baby squirrel for about 6 weeks...my granddaughter named her sally...I think that she wants to stay with me...put her outside today with her cage open and she never left it...I will keep trying...she is a sweetie. Take care all, Beth P.S. But the scratches I have all over my upper body makes me look like I have been in a feud...she is not mean at all...and she poops everytime I take her out of her cage...but its ok....Take care all Beth

Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Dragon Cocktails
how did you come across a baby squirrel?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Beardiepal
I have many squirrels in my yard

I have so many squirrels and those durn chipmunks in my yard you would not believe. My dad planted trees in my yard that have acorns and ever since I see squirrels all the time. They dig up my bulbs & flowers and last year I almost invested in a BB gun, LOL. Really wouldn't...Anyway the wind blew the nest out of my tree of many nests that you can see quite well in the winter,,, My Ava, pitbull, who tries to shake the squirrels out of the tree was barking for an hour straight...nest fell to bottom branches...I could see nothing was in it so I got the broom and knocked it down so she would see nothing was there..Two hours later she was frantically barking and this baby squirrel scurried up the tree trunk just above where she could get it...I waited outside for 30 minutes for this baby to take off up the tree and she was frozen with fear. I came in and got a dish towel and took her off the tree trunk and ever since she has been ours !! I fed her puppy formula for 3-4 weeks and then started adding nuts and monkey bites, she eats much of what our beardies eat. BN and yellow squash, mustard and collard greens, she loves pecans, fruit bites, and more. I never dreamed she would be ours forever but what will be will be...LOL> Pic of Ava shaking the squirrels out of the trees...she loves this squirrel...licks her to clean her...it is amazing.... B

Ava really is a sweetie...she just is a dog !!! LOl. B

Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
kellysballs
probably the same way I did. A trio fell out of a tree in my yard and landed on my roof. 2 lived Through the fall and the other did not. I bottle fed both the babies (twitch and crawl) when they were weaned I started taking them out side for longer and longer periods of time.

They rode on my shoulders and would run and play but ultimately they would opt to come back in the house in the evenings to sleep. After about a month of this they ran up the oak in the front yard and didn't come in anymore.

I continued to feed them in a squirrel feeder and I hid big nuts like pecans through out the yard for them to find. They did really well on their own, they still eat out of peoples hands who live in the neighborhood.

p.s. I wore long sleeves when I held the squirels because their claws are wicked. Good luck with your girl.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
monkeywrench133
I don't know much about squirrels, other than they're basically rats with bushy tails. But I have raised rats and they're pretty good pets. They can be very social and affectionate, pretty smart as well. I've heard of people keeping squirrels as pets and what they've said is along those lines, so I'd think she'd make a good pet as well. I'd contact your states fish&game dept to see what the law is though.

Nice looking dog BTW.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #6
Beardiepal
I took her up to Vet Pets, the local rescue place in my neighborhood. I really thought they would take her. But they could not because she was not injured. I really had this in my mind when I rescued her.I have been in contact with a squirrel rescue but she is not ready to go....we love her and I am reluctant to say she loves us.I put her cage outside today. No door open. She was scared to death. The mailman came & she rode on my shoulder to the mailbox but she never showed any inclination to take off. !!! As long as the weather is appropraite I will try again...Take care Beth

Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #7
Beardiepal
If I felt they rats...

I have had rats...for feeders for my kids Boa constrictors....they are different....much more personality....shit, I don't know...rats are rats and squirrels are squirrels.. there is a difference...B

Old 04-18-2008, 01:58 AM   #8
Cat_72
Cute pics.

As for being "illegal" on this site, absolutely not, however it is asked that posts be kept relevant to the topic of each individual forum you are posting in. Posts in the Bearded Dragon forum should pertain to Bearded Dragons, for instance....that way not only will the Beardie forum remain easy to search through for those looking specifically for Bearded Dragon info, people that would perhaps really enjoy a post about a squirrel who may not ever venture into the Beardie forum may enjoy it also.

Which, uh, would by why this post was moved from the Bearded Dragons forum to the Mammals forum while I was originally typing this, and confused the heck out of me. LOL.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #9
monkeywrench133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
Which, uh, would by why this post was moved from the Bearded Dragons forum to the Mammals forum while I was originally typing this, and confused the heck out of me. LOL.
Wow, you must type reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly slowly Cat, I moved this about 3 hours before you posted

Old 04-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #10
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench133
Wow, you must type reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly slowly Cat, I moved this about 3 hours before you posted

LOL

one of them Look and Peck typers!!!

WE KNOW YOUR SECRET NOW!!!!

That squirrel is really cute... if you end up keeping her, keep us updated!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!