Reptiles Magazine - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 09-25-2005, 01:12 PM   #21
coyote
You continue to buy the magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryFive
Since this is consumer reports, I shall voice my opinion. Reptiles magazine is out of touch with its readers. I still pay for the magazine subscription, but receive dates are quite arbitrary. I may receive two different issues at the same time, or go 2 months with nothing. I have a feeling that I am missing a few issues, but the reality is I just don't care enough to do anything about it.

The magazine is insanely useless, but serves as a great place to put ads. The lackluster information provided by the writers is often overlooked by the horrible photography and poor prints. I have Vivarium issues from 1995 that take a much more intellectual approach to reptiles as a whole, and tries to be academically involved (not to mention Vivarium used good quality prints). Last but definitely not least on my list of "issues" is the limited amount of snake/python/morph related info. Reptiles magazine is behind the times, and I think I just might de-lete. D+
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfrankford
I noticed they are doing a new setup where they have more articles now, so instead of three it's like five. Don't know about anyone else, but I don't care much for it. Now you get even less information on the article animals. Shoot the turtle issue gave only one page to the snapping turtle. That's not enough.
Talking about pictures. I wish they would take the time to make better pictures for the centerfold poster.]

Have you contacted the magazine with your criticisms?

Old 09-25-2005, 01:31 PM   #22
CJBianco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfrankford
How are you getting free year subscriptions? I would like to know how to do that.
I've not asked for a subscription to Reptiles Magazine, but for most other magazines the process is pretty simple. For instance, I was interested in digital video a while ago. I looked up the various trade magazines for the subject. One magazine was "DV Magazine". I went to that site and searched for free subscription information. (If I remember correctly, DV Magazine had a link for the free subscription.) I signed up. I have been receiving that magazine, as well as other trade magazines such as "Videography" for free for around two years now. And they don't seem to want to stop sending them, either. LOL

Magazine companies make little to no profit in actual magazine sales. The profits come through selling advertising space. The more magazines in circulation (the more potential customers), the more charged for advertising space. Most magazines are more than happy to give away free subscriptions. The larger circulation makes them look better, and that equals a ton more money in advertising sales. In fact, once per year all magazines in the US are required to include the past year's subscription information. It must include paid subscriptions, free subscriptions, and total subscriptions. Most of the time, there are as many thousands of free subscriptions as there are paid subscriptions. Neat, huh?

Chris

Old 09-25-2005, 01:37 PM   #23
Jim O
Somehow I doubt that Fortune will renew me for free.

Old 09-25-2005, 06:12 PM   #24
mmfrankford
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBianco
Magazine companies make little to no profit in actual magazine sales. The profits come through selling advertising space. The more magazines in circulation (the more potential customers), the more charged for advertising space. Most magazines are more than happy to give away free subscriptions. The larger circulation makes them look better, and that equals a ton more money in advertising sales. In fact, once per year all magazines in the US are required to include the past year's subscription information. It must include paid subscriptions, free subscriptions, and total subscriptions. Most of the time, there are as many thousands of free subscriptions as there are paid subscriptions. Neat, huh?

Chris
Thanks for the info!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!