Looking for advice on Barr's Hatchling Rack - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 10-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
PaulSage
Looking for advice on Barr's Hatchling Rack

I have done a couple searches on here and I've heard a lot of feedback on Barr's cages, but not much about their racks. Specifically, I am interested in their hatchling rack:

Rack Specification
--- Made of 3/16" high impact plastic
--- Rack dimensions : 22.375" x 10.375" x 6"
--- 24 individual crystal clear boxes : 5.375" x 5.125" x 1.375"

http://www.herpcages.com/racks/hrack.html

Here's why I'm interested. I use a spare shoebox rack for feeding my corn and rat snakes. It works great. I would like something comparable, but on a smaller scale for feeding hatchlings. I like the size of the boxes, and their clarity. The price is right too, and I know I wouldn't be able to build something for less than that.

If I am impressed with them, I would like to order two of them for my friend's daughter who raises geckos. They need smallers tubs for all of their picta, viper and leopard gecko hatchlings.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
PaulSage
I didn't just want to leave this hanging, so:

Considering that these racks are listed as *new* on Barr's website, and given their good reputation, I went ahead and ordered four of them early this afternoon. They replied to my email very quickly and called right away to let me know when I might be able to expect them. The boxes are on back order until Monday, and Doug (I think he said that's what his name is) said I should be able to receive them by next week Friday (10/21).

I will reply here after I receive them to let anyone who's interested know how they turn out.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
Chris@TSE
Wish I could assist you in some feedback but unfortunately we never received replies to our emails when looking to Barr's to outfit our new leo room with racks....

Old 10-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
Sherry Howell
Barr's hatchling rack

I have that rack and I've used it for a couple of years for hatchling corns, kenyan sand boas, hognoses, house snakes and even for newborn rosies (although the rosy boas outgrew them pretty fast). The rack is easy to heat with flexwatt and for waterbowls, I used some that I got from Serpenco. Even the shyest or most hesitant eater quickly started eating when put in the rack.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
PaulSage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry Howell
I have that rack and I've used it for a couple of years for hatchling corns, kenyan sand boas, hognoses, house snakes and even for newborn rosies (although the rosy boas outgrew them pretty fast). The rack is easy to heat with flexwatt and for waterbowls, I used some that I got from Serpenco. Even the shyest or most hesitant eater quickly started eating when put in the rack.
Thank you Sherry, that is encouraging to hear. May I ask how you heated it with flexwatt? I have ordered some of the 11" flexwatt from MGReptiles, with the intention of using it across the back side of the rack, and adhering it with foil tape. I think I may actually build these racks into one larger one since they are so small.

I have been wondering what I'll need for waterbowls since the tubs are so short. How tall are the ones you got from Serpenco? I noticed on the website that they are currently on backorder. Apparently they're pretty popular! The other thing I have though of is using those Solo/Dixie condiment cups. I'm mostly concerned about finding something that is "tip-resistant."

Chris - Sorry to hear that Barr's didn't reply to your emails. When I spoke with him today he mentioned a problem with their website, notably the credit card server. He made it seem like it was a recurring problem. Perhaps this may have had something to do with losing emails??

Old 10-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
Chris@TSE
perhaps, though they were sent on multiple occasions. it happens.....

Old 10-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #7
WebSlave
Heck, I have known Doug for years. Chris, if he got your emails, he would have responded to them. Did you try a phone call instead? Sometimes I guess we do have to revert to the old fashion methods of communications. But seriously, Doug does not just ignore emails.

Doug tried out those water dishes I make in his rack system and actually recommends them to people for a solution to the watering problem. I'm glad I read this thread, because it reminded me that I have an outstanding order for 500 of those water dishes that I need to get on the stick and make up for that order.

Maybe over the winter months I will be able to make up enough to keep them on the shelf for a while.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Sherry Howell
Barrs racks

We taped the flexwatt on the back and hooked it up to a thermostat. I'm not sure those little cups you're thinking of using will be short enough for the baby to be able to get a drink but you can give it a try. I think I used bottle caps from my coke bottles for a couple of weeks. I did have to check those little caps daily to make sure they were filled. You will love the little water bowls from Serpenco. They can't tip them over.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #9
PaulSage
Maybe this is appropriate for the BOI, but I don't necessarily think it's inappropriate here...

I received the racks yesterday afternoon, and I am very pleased with them. They are constructed very well, and are very sturdy. The containers are the clearest I've ever seen, and seem to be quite durable. I used a paper cutter to cut up some newspaper for liners, and threw a few babies in just to see how it would work. I haven't received the flexwatt for it yet, but I am planning on ordering a few more eventually and building them into a larger rack.

Anyway, here are a few pictures for anyone who's interested.

Old 10-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #10
Sherry Howell
Barrs hatchling rack

I thought you would like them. Right now I have house snakes and baby hognoses in mine and they're doing great.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!