I'll start. Anyone use "reptile relief" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 01-27-2003, 10:08 PM   #1
sschind
I'll start. Anyone use "reptile relief"

There is a new mite spray on the market and I would like to get everyone elses opinions on wether or not it works. I would like feedback on this product alone. I know that Provent a mite works, and I know that Black Knight works, and I know of all the other treatments, that others claim to work, I am interested in this product.

It is called "Reptile Relief" and is made by Natural Chemistry inc. It is being advertised heavily in reptiles magazine. I have used it with limited success and would like to hear your feedback.

Steve Schindler

Old 01-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #2
meretseger
What's IN that stuff? I was thinking of trying it but I don't like using stuff where I don't know the active ingredient. Provent a mite works so well and quicky for me, but I might be open to new suggestions when my bottle runs out. I'd rather not have to use chemical insecticides.

E. Benner

Old 01-28-2003, 10:57 AM   #3
repitat
If you're speaking of DeFlea Reptile Relief (Natural Chemistry), I had heard really good things about it, so I decided to try it out. I haven't had any problems with mites or any other parasites, and use is as part of my quarantine process. So far so good in my book.

Old 01-29-2003, 01:30 AM   #4
JasonBrennan
I got a boa shipped to me that was INFESTED with mites. I tried the de Flea Reptile Relief, and it worked for me. Took two treatments (3 days apart as suggested on the bottle), but it worked. Suppossed to be much safer and can be sprayed directly on the animal.

Some people have said it is too mild, but it sure did work on that boa!!!

Jason Brennan

Old 01-29-2003, 09:53 AM   #5
sschind
active ingredieants are

diocytyl sodium sulfosuccinate 2.1%
undecylenic acid .5%
other ingredients 97.4%

Steve Schindler

Old 02-09-2003, 12:12 AM   #6
HerpVenue
Quote:
other ingredients 97.4%

Water?
or H20?

Old 02-09-2003, 07:25 PM   #7
sschind
most likely water, but that is not unusual. Many time the active ingredients are present in very small amounts. Sometimes however, certain ingredients are trade secrets and are exempt from listing (I'm no expert on this but that is the way I understand it.

Steve Schindler

Old 02-12-2003, 12:54 AM   #8
SPJ
The stuff is garbage.

It doesn't work and it smells like friggin sour oranges.

Quote:
Water? or H20?
Now that's funny.

Old 03-20-2003, 04:07 PM   #9
JOEYSOUL00
reptile relief

I never had mites before using this and only this product and I must say, accompanied w/ good husbandry practices, this stuff worked great for me, I used it as directed and I use it once a week post mite just to be on the safe side, I would recommend it. I will also treat any new guys w/ this stuff, just to be on the safe side.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:49 AM   #10
Seamus Haley
First with regards to the active ingredients thing...

Most active ingredients are diluted to extreme amounts in any product forced to list them, I wandered into my medicine cabinet and... well, I haven't got much in there but out of what was there, my neosporin knock-off was 98% petroleum jelly, my hydrogen peroxide was only 3% hydrogen peroxide, my Colgate was only 0.54% active ingredients and this cough syrup sore throat spray that's three or four years old and needs to be thrown out was 98.6% water and food coloring.

So the proportions aren't too far off on the Reptile Relief and I suspect you'll find the other mite products have about the same levels (Although different active ingredients).

Secondly...

I know it's an old thread but I remembered it was made and ended up buying Reptile Relief when the other options I had been considering were sold out...

I bought some sphagnum that must have been loaded with fruit flies (I haven't bought fruit in about fourteen months, so I'm pretty sure it was the sphagnum) and found the flies, when not on my computer screen, were all over the sphagnum and substrate in the Candoia bins and a few other odd enclosures. I figured they were likely breeding in the same so simply threw out the substrate and the sphagnum and replaced it, problem solved. For about 48 hours... then problem comes back.

Assuming the flies were dropping eggs in the substrate and not finding them in any of the other enclosures using drier substrates or any potted plants around the place, I decided to treat the enclosures with a mite spray of some kind and headed out to buy some Provent-A-Mite or Black Knight...

Which the local shop was sold out of (Not much of a surprise, P.E. is open very few hours a week anymore and I was in a hurry so I went to the "other" place nearby... those of you in the Denver Metro area might know what I'm talking about) or didn't carry. I ended up buying some of the Reptile Relief spray (Their store use bottle, frankly I'm surprised they had any left considering the way the floor seems to move with the mites all over the place... then again, maybe I'm not, had they used it, they might not be infested) instead.

So far so good on the fruit flies, haven't seen any since switching the substrates once more and applying the spray. Haven't tried it on the animals since it didn't seem to be an issue and I'm still hesitant, especially on the Candoia, but it seemed to clear up the insect problem I was having and in my past experience, fruit flies can sometimes be tougher to get rid of than mites.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!